What did you do to your YJ today/lately?

Fixed my windshield wiper linkage yesterday. Now I can drive in the rain. 42° felt a little brisk this morning on the ride in. Bout time to throw the top back on.
I love the 50ish degree mornings with the doors off and the heater blowing. Chilly, but manageable and certainly better than anything from summer.

I have mine off at the moment. I have been meaning to put it back. I still need to clean it up and get a new gasket it for it. I will probably just use RTV. I do not recommend, it gets hot and I am probably sniffing some carbon monoxide.

I forgot I had my inner and outer boot in the back of my truck when driving to work this morning. I am glad they didn't fly out.

Did this Sunday. I organized some stuff in our shed to make room for the Jeep so I can make an oily mess. Hardtop is temporaily on as well.

I am going to be changing out the RMS, adding a 4.0 bearing cap brace, and switching out my dented oil pan with a new clean one. Using Felpro gaskets for both RMS and oil pan.

20211024_125603.jpg

20211024_131214.jpg

20211024_131229.jpg

Reactions: machoheadgames
Got my console wiring cut and terminated and routed snugly around driver seat base. Used a Deutsch connector so that the console can quickly unplug. Plus this way I can change radios and all I have to do is terminate the new radio’s harness to another Deutsch plug to plug into the harness I made. Deleted the seat belt wiring a year or so ago so I reused those old foldable hold downs to hold down my new radio loom. Worked great.

Also got the radio set with changing the buttons and screen to amber. I really like the way it looks and it’s the perfect brightness on low mode at night and high mode for daytime. Can’t wait to get this all wrapped up and use it.

3EE7915E-160B-44B7-8760-E91EFF03ACAF.jpeg

93E3ECC1-F15D-424D-BCF8-217FF0232902.jpeg

09D61B91-312D-4B48-B226-B72E8040A511.jpeg

Reactions: gixxerkid3
Going against the current here, but tonight added a front track bar back to my rig after 8 years of it being gone. Tossed the old one long ago so I bought this one off eBay as well as a bolt kit, the relocation bracket from RE, and the factory U shaped bracket spacer thingy that lets the bar slip into the frame bracket snugly. People will say I'm crazy but I never really liked the handling without the track bar. Steering felt more vague/loose. We'll see. If I determine the track bar makes the OME suspension not feel so good anymore, I can easily take it right back off, no big deal. But for $100, it definitely felt worth the experiment to me. With a sway bar and track bar, this thing is ready to hit the drag strip! :ROFLMAO:

I am pretty happy that it bolted right up to my extension bracket without needing to pull on the suspension at all. The extension bracket raised the end of it up the perfect amount to make it an exact slope match to my drag link as well, which was dropped with a drop pitman arm. Overall I am expecting good results from this addition. Time will tell.

IMG_2111.jpeg

I’m looking forward to your results. I was never sure why these were on this vehicle, all the other leaf sprung trucks were without them and did just fine. Yes those were larger vehicles.

I’m looking forward to your results. I was never sure why these were on this vehicle, all the other leaf sprung trucks were without them and did just fine. Yes those were larger vehicles.
Everyone says they added them because “gubment” and I’m sure that’s part of it because the CJs did rollover a lot, and so I’m sure they partly did it to ease the safety Nannies “look, more safety attachments”…I think the main reason though was due to the newer steering linkage design which has a considerable dead spot in it since the drag link mounts directly to the tie rod. I felt a noticeable difference when I removed mine, on 2.5” lift. On stock probably would have been fine and not too noticeable either way. We’ll see for sure.

CJ 5’s we’re more prone to roll but, that was with specific maneuvers. I believe it was another one of Datelines antics that started all the BS. By intentionally trying to cause rollovers, they were able to roll several CJ5’s. They were much less successful with the CJ7. It actually took maneuvers that were so radical to get the 7 to roll it was deemed an unlikely condition for a real world driver to encounter. There was a lawsuit by AMC against the creators of the program, but the damage was already done in the eyes of the public. So I am interested to see your opinion on the track bars. I have always thought they were more of a legal ploy than anything else.

Yeah it was definitely more the CJ5s than 7's for sure. The CJ5 could be downright scary to drive. Super narrow axles, tiny overall size, very short wheelbase, not much else to it. 7's were a lot better, they almost feel like a YJ to drive anyways. But spreading the springs apart, wider YJ axles (even the CJ wide tracks were a few inches shorter than YJ IIRC), adding sway bars on every one (only some CJs had them) and apparently adding the track bars all seemed to help some. The CJs had better steering so no track bar on them didn't hurt the steering feel, unlike the YJ.

On the flip side, my YJ with OME suspension was scary without a sway bar so I had to add one back. The springs are so soft that you feel like you're going to roll just taking a slight curve in the road at 35 mph.

Yeah it was definitely more the CJ5s than 7's for sure. The CJ5 could be downright scary to drive. Super narrow axles, tiny overall size, very short wheelbase, not much else to it. 7's were a lot better, they almost feel like a YJ to drive anyways. But spreading the springs apart, wider YJ axles (even the CJ wide tracks were a few inches shorter than YJ IIRC), adding sway bars on every one (only some CJs had them) and apparently adding the track bars all seemed to help some. The CJs had better steering so no track bar on them didn't hurt the steering feel, unlike the YJ.

On the flip side, my YJ with OME suspension was scary without a sway bar so I had to add one back. The springs are so soft that you feel like you're going to roll just taking a slight curve in the road at 35 mph.
If you think a CJ5 was scary to drive, try a flat-fender with 1-1/2" wide springs and narrow axles!
You just get used to it..