Fan Clutch And Cooling Issues

I tossed all the old in mine, it was kind of a Frankenstein setup and all the parts were old so I figured if I ever do add it back I’ll go the new jeepair route. Considering my Jeep will only ever be a light trail and nice weather driver, I doubt I’ll ever end up adding it back. It’s almost nicer to have dash access than AC, especially YJ AC which blows at your knees and you won’t use much anyways when the doors are off all the time. Not that driving with no doors is nice and cool, but it’s kind of pointless to have the AC running in those situations.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
I tossed all the old in mine, it was kind of a Frankenstein setup and all the parts were old so I figured if I ever do add it back I’ll go the new jeepair route. Considering my Jeep will only ever be a light trail and nice weather driver, I doubt I’ll ever end up adding it back. It’s almost nicer to have dash access than AC, especially YJ AC which blows at your knees and you won’t use much anyways when the doors are off all the time. Not that driving with no doors is nice and cool, but it’s kind of pointless to have the AC running in those situations.
I took most of mine out too, for a number of reasons;
A) It didn't work
B) If it did work, with a 2.5 it would pretty much be Air Brakes
C) I was looking for somewhere to mount radios and acc switches at the time
D) I'm probably never going to run anything but a bikini, unless I start Overlanding (unlikely)
E) The compressor could be used for putting up tires

Personally I'm just happy to have a heater.
That's a new thing for me in a Jeep ;)

Reactions: machoheadgames
I took most of mine out too, for a number of reasons;
A) It didn't work
B) If it did work, with a 2.5 it would pretty much be Air Brakes
C) I was looking for somewhere to mount radios and acc switches at the time
D) I'm probably never going to run anything but a bikini, unless I start Overlanding (unlikely)
E) The compressor could be used for putting up tires

Personally I'm just happy to have a heater.
That's a new thing for me in a Jeep ;)
Yeah I hear ya, lots of reasons. Same here. I left it in for years and I’m not sure why. I knew I was never going to fix those old parts. That system didn’t even have a pressure cutoff switch so it would just run the compressor permanently until you shut it off. It needed a new compressor and back in the day multiple different shops told me R12 or 134a (I know you can convert but I wanted the proper part). I think it used 134a because it was added later (2000ish) and the expansion valve said 134a. I think the shops telling me R12 were basing it off the year.

Anywho, I eventually removed it for several reasons - easier dash access, cleaning up the underhood, and mainly to clean up the clutter of the interior and underhood of the Jeep.

My compressor actually locked up in 2013 right after I bought the Jeep so I bypassed it with non-AC short belt when I was just a young punk teenager, long ago. Not knowing Jack shit about cars, hearing loud screeching is not what you want to hear on the Jeep you just saved up a year and a half for, working minimum wage!

Yeah I hear ya, lots of reasons. Same here. I left it in for years and I’m not sure why. I knew I was never going to fix those old parts. That system didn’t even have a pressure cutoff switch so it would just run the compressor permanently until you shut it off. It needed a new compressor and back in the day multiple different shops told me R12 or 134a (I know you can convert but I wanted the proper part). I think it used 134a because it was added later (2000ish) and the expansion valve said 134a. I think the shops telling me R12 were basing it off the year.

Anywho, I eventually removed it for several reasons - easier dash access, cleaning up the underhood, and mainly to clean up the clutter of the interior and underhood of the Jeep.

My compressor actually locked up in 2013 right after I bought the Jeep so I bypassed it with non-AC short belt when I was just a young punk teenager, long ago. Not knowing Jack shit about cars, hearing loud screeching is not what you want to hear on the Jeep you just saved up a year and a half for, working minimum wage!
I hear ya on that last point!

So you back in action with a 100% new cooling system and NO MORE problems we hope ;)
Not yet. I fell behind doing my valve cover gasket on Sunday. I have been getting home late from work with all the traffic this week to have time to do anything.

I get back at it early tomorrow doing some more sludge clean up around the motor. All my new hoses came in today from Rock Auto and I am buying a new water pump inlet at autozone tomorrow.

I forgot about the heater core. Should that be replaced?

Yeah, it’s a PITA enough that I would skip it until it causes problems. If/when it ever does, it’s easy enough that you can bypass it until a weekend where you can tackle it. It’s not hard but just an annoying job that I don’t enjoy doing. Having AC out of the way makes it more convenient.

Yeah, it’s a PITA enough that I would skip it until it causes problems. If/when it ever does, it’s easy enough that you can bypass it until a weekend where you can tackle it. It’s not hard but just an annoying job that I don’t enjoy doing. Having AC out of the way makes it more convenient.
Just what I would do...

How does it look?

20211008_101546.jpg

20211008_101550.jpg

Looks fine to me. It's an old cast iron block, it'll pretty much never be perfect in there. Might want to run some thermocure or prestone once you button it all back up just to do a final clean.

I always double nut them off and then back onto the next pump. Works like a champ. I forget what size though, may have to grab the bolt tester if you have one.

That works, vice grips would probably get you there too, but might booger up threads past the fan clutch thickness.
By the looks of your's I would soak it with some PB Blaster (or any other penetrating oil) overnight.