What is the best replacement front differential lock for my YJ?

What is the best replacement front differential lock for my YJ
That’s a matter of opinion. My choice for budget is a Spartan lunch box locker. And for bigger spending would be the Ox locker. The lunch box should drop in without a carrier change and gear setup, which will save more money if you are unable to do yourself. But any of the main brands, Detroit, ARP, Dana, Yukon, etc. are all good. Do some studying and see what you like.

Someone told me many of them come out of the same factory, just with different labels on the box. Any truth to that?
I can’t tell you, some are very similar like Detroit and Grizzly so maybe. Others are quit different like Ox , arb, these are unlike anyone else’s.

Someone told me many of them come out of the same factory, just with different labels on the box. Any truth to that?
The Eaton Detroit locker, Eaton Detroit TrueTrac LSD, and Eaton Selectable E-Locker maybe come from the same factory as they are the same company.

Eaton stuff, ARB, Ox, Yukon, etc. are not all coming from the same factory in different boxes. Maybe some of the lunchbox lockers come from one parent manufacturer, but even then, those usually have small differences between them as well so they aren’t the same thing (example Aussie vs Positrax No Slip).

What is the best replacement front differential lock for my YJ
what are you attempting, or is there a problem? , please tell that first
is the front axle lock (vacuum servo ) dead>?
or is this and upgrade question (replacement is no clue)
what does best mean?
4wd options are complex, google that or better wiki it.
is the (if) upgraded, questions , then is this for offroad, , on road or both. not told
part time 4wd is for offroad #1,. only or on- road, pavement covered in ICE or snow. what do you do with your jeep.?
some 95 had rear trac-lock axles. (a really great feature for sure) aka, LSD
limited slip (has clutch packs)
fully locked, (with new controls ,in/out) for offroad only or snow/ice

what I call (GM) Eaton locks, that lock up automatically as slips happens,. I love mine at any boat ramp and huge boat trailed.
your front axle is and open axle, even in 4wd,
first learn how your open front axle works.(stock)
and what LSD does best ?, it allows 2 front tires say on ice to both spin properly but if 2 tire hits no ice pavement(danger) it this slips the clutch pack
this magic keeps the car from sliding to the side violent and dangerous as a real locker does.

LSD is best, for sure on the road, and on ice and snow,or patchy.(patchy is he most tricky of all)
open diff is also safe on ice but one wheel wants to spin,
quote:
Most vehicles are equipped with an open differential from the factory. This type of differential is perfect on dry pavement, as it allows the axles turn at different speeds when cornering. However, an open differential is less than ideal when one or both tires lose traction. In these situations, the tire with no traction spins, and the tire with traction does nothing.
best is LSD but if car is offroad only more extreme mods' exist. full time locked or switched in or out of fully locked)
in full lock mode:
in effect the dirt allows the non center full time DIFF PT transfer case to not be upset, and wind up F to Rear ,nasty,(no chain stretched)
the tires slip on the dirt (all 4 can) and take all the stress off the transfer case. (Part time )and axles too.

even with full lockers. but yes the actual axles do get stressed(no LSD), even in turns. but the tires do the slipping. aka extreme offroad mod'/s./

on road LSD wins( or cool GM Eaton lockers I love) but not seen here yes.

Last edited:
My vacuum motor was bad and the tubes were disconnected. I bought a new vacuum motor, fixed the tube connectors, and all works like new.

My vacuum motor was bad and the tubes were disconnected. I bought a new vacuum motor, fixed the tube connectors, and all works like new.
i made this up, to help,if the diaphragm is cracked inside it is now useless. (a leak down test finds that in seconds()
if the guts in the box (lever on axle ) is dry it jams up. 5oz of GL5 lube is that pit. chapter 2, FSM/
a hand vacuum tool tests the servo easy. many , plug the vent tube and not the whole system dies.
88-90_CommandTrac.jpg

Reactions: Flyer58
lets say you said, my vacuum locker failed. and it needs parts.
and I say what part failed. ?
then you say, the vacuum servo motor is dead.
and you find out the axle parts (fork) inside it, work ok, but not that old rusty vacuum pot.
then you buy a new vacuum servo off flea bay and all do not fit the housing hole, ( none do I see now) I can send my new one to you free but is PURE JUNK.

if the 2 nipples seen in the ad. are bent to V shape, those are horrible don't fit knockoffs from 12,000 miles away; (pure trash)
finding the good new one now is hard, jeep has none. (ask them) see? google all jeep dealers and click, parts and search, see NONE.
the top cure here for sure is the manual kit, replaces the bad servo, with a flex cable and knob for dash.

next time post the why first.>?
or name a problem (any on this 1 car)
or name a need on or off road, or both, 4wd systems are complex. for sure mods.