What is it?

11 cats here....purely circumstantial.. daughter brings home an in heat cat, son lets cat out. Cat comes back a week later pregnant....has kittens, then the Covid party starts. I couldnt get her to a vet..gets pregnant again, and now we are up to 9 kittens. Wife says "we can't break up the family...." Now all nine kitten are fixed and shots, as well as momma. I already had 2 older cats before these guys. I do love them all though. They are all inside/outside cats. I have cat doors everywhere and they are free to roam all they want. I have a little land so its a great time for them..ok, enough about cats lol.
So, just wondering what you mean by "but I'm having a hard time getting the YJ into the game" I've done a lot of work to mine to make it very well driven for the street. I love this thing. I have a 50k gmc truck thats beautiful but I never drive it, I drive the jeep everywhere.
We went through that when a feral cat showed up in our barn and soon had kittens. A snowball's chance trying to catch them. Months later they must have had a wild party because two ended up having kittens on the same day. We then had 17 cats and permanent pest control for mice and snakes. The food bill was crazy but we were able to round up everyone and gave away most of the kittens and spayed/neutered the rest. Finally got the herd down to seven.

Zombie cats...

1.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: machoheadgames
We went through that when a feral cat showed up in our barn and soon had kittens. A snowball's chance trying to catch them. Months later they must have had a wild party because two ended up having kittens on the same day. We then had 17 cats and permanent pest control for mice and snakes. The food bill was crazy but we were able to round up everyone and gave away most of the kittens and spayed/neutered the rest. Finally got the herd down to seven.

Zombie cats...

View attachment 118474
That is too funny! Cool pic with all the glowing eyes for sure! I hear ya on the pest control....cats are savages lol. The way they "play" with what they catch before they kill it is something. Mother nature I guess.

Reactions: Flyer58
Oh' Ive had that happen with cats!
Where I live, an outside cat has about a 1-1/2 years to live.
Mine is strictly indoor, but I only have the one.

As to getting the YJ in the game, I can't seem to keep it running.
It developed a gremlin about 2-1/2 years ago on it's first real trip after the lift & tires, cutting out on every bump.
Changed every sensor, no dice.
Bent the D35 rear housing on that trip too, but wouldn't discover that until much, much later.
The lift had it's own issues on the road, that's when the lid came off and the worms got out.
Finally had it towed to a buddies shop with a lift this spring to do a SYE, drive shafts and a fuel pump (that was a 5 skirmish war).
Found a broken fuel tank and rattly cat converter along the way, just great...
I found the gremlin while replacing the coil, breaking/broken power wire to the coil.
Ran great on a little trail in the area while chasing my buddy on a quad. YAHZEE!!
So it sat on his property for months waiting for a custom rear axle to replace the bent one.
His property is in an area of the state that is notorious for Packrattus Bastardicus.
They got me, taillight grounds and my new fuel sending unit wiring.

It's been too Hot to work on it, so that's where it stands now.
It's cooling off now and I'm going to be taking an early retirement due to an edict from an idiot. (I'm not taking the knee on an executive order)
So I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands to sort things out.
Fortunately, the Big spending has already been done, I've Just got some fumigating to do to kill the bugs.

Oh' Ive had that happen with cats!
Where I live, an outside cat has about a 1-1/2 years to live.
Mine is strictly indoor, but I only have the one.

As to getting the YJ in the game, I can't seem to keep it running.
It developed a gremlin about 2-1/2 years ago on it's first real trip after the lift & tires, cutting out on every bump.
Changed every sensor, no dice.
Bent the D35 rear housing on that trip too, but wouldn't discover that until much, much later.
The lift had it's own issues on the road, that's when the lid came off and the worms got out.
Finally had it towed to a buddies shop with a lift this spring to do a SYE, drive shafts and a fuel pump (that was a 5 skirmish war).
Found a broken fuel tank and rattly cat converter along the way, just great...
I found the gremlin while replacing the coil, breaking/broken power wire to the coil.
Ran great on a little trail in the area while chasing my buddy on a quad. YAHZEE!!
So it sat on his property for months waiting for a custom rear axle to replace the bent one.
His property is in an area of the state that is notorious for Packrattus Bastardicus.
They got me, taillight grounds and my new fuel sending unit wiring.

It's been too Hot to work on it, so that's where it stands now.
It's cooling off now and I'm going to be taking an early retirement due to an edict from an idiot. (I'm not taking the knee on an executive order)
So I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands to sort things out.
Fortunately, the Big spending has already been done, I've Just got some fumigating to do to kill the bugs.
Here in Michigan cats don't last to long outside, but one of mine which was a stray has to be 6-7 years old and he has been an inside/outside cat all his life. If he had to live outside full time, the winter would probably kill him. The best part of inside/outside is that the cats rather use the outside for the bathroom versus coming in to the litter boxes which is nice.

Bummer on all the bad luck with the jeep. I really went through mine and fixed a lot of electrical that just looked shady, along with a lot more stuff. Mine has been very dependable. The only break down was when I first got it and the fuel pump just decided to stop working. Zero warning. I was real close to the house though, so it was no big deal.
I look forward to retirement myself. I turn 60 next month and may retire at 62. My job isn't bad, pays well and I've been working from home for 10 years but I still look forward to the freedom of not working. Though retirement will probably end up being more work than work is now lol, with all the stuff I want to do.
Well good luck with the jeep, I'm sure it will work out just fine for you.

• USA Proud
Reactions: jeepjoe43
Here in Michigan cats don't last to long outside, but one of mine which was a stray has to be 6-7 years old and he has been an inside/outside cat all his life. If he had to live outside full time, the winter would probably kill him. The best part of inside/outside is that the cats rather use the outside for the bathroom versus coming in to the litter boxes which is nice.

Bummer on all the bad luck with the jeep. I really went through mine and fixed a lot of electrical that just looked shady, along with a lot more stuff. Mine has been very dependable. The only break down was when I first got it and the fuel pump just decided to stop working. Zero warning. I was real close to the house though, so it was no big deal.
I look forward to retirement myself. I turn 60 next month and may retire at 62. My job isn't bad, pays well and I've been working from home for 10 years but I still look forward to the freedom of not working. Though retirement will probably end up being more work than work is now lol, with all the stuff I want to do.
Well good luck with the jeep, I'm sure it will work out just fine for you.
I appreciate that sir.
I'll get through it, actually looking forward to retiring, but your right, it will probably more work!
God knows I've got a lot to do around the house that work has prevented me from doing.
I've worked outdoors for 30 years in the AZ heat and when I get home, I'm just Done.

From my original question, I now have a couple new ones. Now that I know the red button is the cable that locks the front axle, how can I tell if it is actually engaged? (aside from jacking it up, putting it in neutral and hand-spinning the wheel.) How can I tell if it's actually in 4Wheel Drive, assuming the indicator light on the dash isn't working? Once the transfer case is in 4 High, if the front axle is not locked, is there still power to one of the wheels as with a standard differential? How far should the PTO cable move when I pull it out? As it is, the transfer case shift feels good and solid, no grinding, no noise when the jeep is moving. Then I pull the cable out, it only moves a very short distance, but there is no noticeable change in anything. I don't feel as if anything "engages" or locks when I pull the cable out, it just stops. Is this normal? Sorry for the barrage of questions. I just want to get this all figured out before the Wisconsin winter hits. Thanks in advance, I always appreciate the helpful advice and informations you guys provide.

Also, Yjcharlie, what part of Michigan are you from?

If it’s in 4WD, and the front axle engages, you will feel it in the steering and you’ll probably hear some tire scuffing as the system binds and makes noise in pavement. Not ideal to drive it on pavement but that’s one way to know. It would be ideal to fix your light so you know when the front axle engages. So that’s a start.

If the front axle does NOT engage, no, no power will go to the front wheels. The power coming from the transfer case will spin the ring and pinion, the ring gear will spin the spider gears but no power will make it down the axle shafts since the right side isn’t engaged. If you were to jack the jeep up and rev it under power, you might see some wheel spin on the driver side tire but it would be under very light power and you’d be able to stop it by hand easily.

Are you rolling when you’re trying to engage it with the cable? I don’t own the cable so I’m not sure how far it pulls out, but I’d imagine at least an inch maybe a bit more. It should move as much as the fork on the axle moves. You might just be feeling the collar move a small amount and then Bump against the intermediate shaft but not actually engage it. You probably need to be rolling to engage the cable most of
The time. That way as the right front
Wheel rolls, it can turn the collar and as you operate the cable, the collar will bump onto the intermediate shaft and engage it once it lines up. At that point, you’ll have full power to both wheels and will only lose power/traction once you’re offroad and a tire goes in the air. At that point, you need a locker in the diff.

machoheadgames, thank you for the insightful reply. I appreciate it! I was moving when I tried to shift it, but apparently not fast enough. I was only moving up and down my driveway, so probably not even 5 mph. I tried again this morning as i pulled into the parking lot at work (10 to 15,) and it engaged just fine. Tried it again as I pulled into my parking spot (again, less than 5,) and it did the same thing, dead stop, no engaging. So, the problem with this most likely resides between the steering wheel and the seat. It's a learning process for me.

Thanks for explaining more about how this works as well. I like to understand what is doing what on my vehicles. Keeps me out of trouble a little more.

Reactions: machoheadgames