What is it?

kjmagsig

I recently purchased a '94 Wrangler, something I've wanted for many, many years. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Wranglers, though I have had 3 Grand Cherokees and love them. This Wrangler is in pretty rough shape body-wise, but that's what I was looking for to keep the price down. Now for my question.

Under the dash is a cable with a red button on the end of it. The cable pulls in and out. I've traced it to near the right-hand end of the front axle, where it is connected to a box on the axle housing. I've never seen anything like this and have no idea what it is for. The dealership where I purchased it had no idea either. Does anyone have any ideas what it might be? I don't have pictures of it yet, but can take some if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

That’s an aftermarket “posi lock”. The front passenger axle shaft is broken into two pieces and is operated by a vacuum motor from the factory when the transfer case is put into 4WD. The vacuum lines eventually crack and stop operating the motor properly and most of those parts are hard to fix these days. Common solution is to put a posi lock on it and then you engage the axle manually when you shift the transfer case to 4wd.

Very interesting. I've never heard of that before. Is it safe or okay to drive it in 2WD with the posi locked? I only ask because I don't know in which position the posi is locked or unlocked and don't want to damage anything. How do I tell if it's locked or unlocked? And one more question, is the rear end posi as well?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it!

Yeah it won’t hurt anything. Engaging the posi lock will make the front driveshaft spin. I believe the posi lock is usually engaged when it’s pushed in and disengaged when pulled back out. Not 100% on that though.

Macho is correct on his pushed in is unlocked and pulled out is locked. I added one of these to my 95 IIRC. They can be a bit stiff to operate at times which I did not like myself. These cables are very similar of exactly the same as what is used for "PTO" engagements on dump trucks or other power driven accessories. far as the rear end being "locked" Thats hard to speculate on as it most likely would be a unit installed inside the rear end differential. Units like a "Detroit locker", "Trac Lock" or several other brands or even a "LSD" or limited slip differential. There is also an air operated rear locker known as a ARB air locker but you would then see a small copper line running into the rear end pumpkin or diff and a small air compressor under the hood. You can jack up the rear end off the ground on both sides and in neutral, E brake off spin one wheel on one side and see if the other turns the same or opposite direction. This can be an indicator of any rear end mods.

Yeah I think the post must have been edited to ask about the rear axle, didn't see that the first time. As gila says, you could have a few different things in there. Factory offered a trak-loc differential which was basically a clutch actuated limited slip. Not sure what Jeeps got that and what didn't though, mine definitely did not have that. What makes you ask, is it behaving a certain way? Noise, jerky, etc?

As said, jacking up the rear with parking brake off and playing with the wheels to see if they spin separate from each other, or backwards from each other, or one spins and one doesn't, etc can help narrow down what you have back there. Or just pulling the diff cover could determine that as well.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Macho is correct on his pushed in is unlocked and pulled out is locked. I added one of these to my 95 IIRC. They can be a bit stiff to operate at times which I did not like myself. These cables are very similar of exactly the same as what is used for "PTO" engagements on dump trucks or other power driven accessories. far as the rear end being "locked" Thats hard to speculate on as it most likely would be a unit installed inside the rear end differential. Units like a "Detroit locker", "Trac Lock" or several other brands or even a "LSD" or limited slip differential. There is also an air operated rear locker known as a ARB air locker but you would then see a small copper line running into the rear end pumpkin or diff and a small air compressor under the hood. You can jack up the rear end off the ground on both sides and in neutral, E brake off spin one wheel on one side and see if the other turns the same or opposite direction. This can be an indicator of any rear end mods.
Macho actually said it backwards but your post is correct. pushed in is unlocked and pulled out is locked

Hah, glad to see someone with a posi lock clarify. I do not have one so wasn't sure which way was which. I was thinking along the lines of it being more like a button that is "in" when engaged, and sitting at a normal slightly stuck out position when disengaged, rather than it being more of a knob fully pulled out type of thing.

Anywho, glad that's cleared up.

Hah, glad to see someone with a posi lock clarify. I do not have one so wasn't sure which way was which. I was thinking along the lines of it being more like a button that is "in" when engaged, and sitting at a normal slightly stuck out position when disengaged, rather than it being more of a knob fully pulled out type of thing.

Anywho, glad that's cleared up.
Also, the knob spins for a more fine adjustment. I'll be taking mine out shortly, replacing the complete front axle and will transfer this setup to the new one.

Thank you all for your responses. This mystery is solved.

I only asked about the rear axle because I'm curious about what these Jeeps came with. I haven't driven it enough yet to notice any issues with it. The body is in really rough shape, but mechanically it seems pretty sound. Everything works that I've tested so far.

One more question, and maybe this isn't the right thread to post it, but here goes... Someone apparently backed into something and pushed the rear gate in, or at least bent the heck out of it so that it wouldn't close when I got it. I've managed to bend it back (I will be replacing this when I get enough cash together) so it does latch now, but the spare tire and upper break light are so close to the top that I have to turn the latch handle on the top to pull the gate open, the handle goes between the supports for the break light. Is this normal? I'm assuming it's not since it's pretty darn inconvenient, but wanted to throw it out there. I'm about ready to just remove that break light, but not sure what the laws are about that.

Oh, and one more quick question. It came with both a hard and soft top. The soft top was folded and inside the Jeep, the metal frame having been removed from the top. Are there any diagrams I can take a look at to see how to assemble the metal frame so I can use the soft top? It's in really good shape, amazingly, and I'd love to use it.

Thanks again!

Kinda confusing on the tailgate latch,maybe a pic for us would help. 87 thru 95 wranglers should have a pull up latch on the left side of the tailgate about 4" down from the top of the gate edge. Pull the bottom up and it opens and slam it shut. Far as the top goes you might check out Bestops website. There is a PDF on how to install a new softop which should give you an idea of how they go on. fas as the snorkle looking tail light most trash it but it depends on your states rules if they have inspections. They probably would never know if it dissapeared,just save everything.

Also, you've mentioned the body is pretty rough. Like in rust? I ask this in the interest of your and your passengers safety. Jeeps are prone to rust in many areas. There have been folks here who have posted pictures of their frames around spring hangers and more concerning the belly pan and its 3 bolts on each side. There have been a few who's frames have literally rusted away and the belly pan which holds up the trans, T case, and back of the engine were about ready to hit the ground. Cross members, spring hangers and suspension components should be looked over closely. If you have concerns post pics, everyone here is going to be helpful and not bash,trash or insult like some other forums Ive seen.

Oh, and one more quick question. It came with both a hard and soft top. The soft top was folded and inside the Jeep, the metal frame having been removed from the top. Are there any diagrams I can take a look at to see how to assemble the metal frame so I can use the soft top? It's in really good shape, amazingly, and I'd love to use it.

Thanks again!
The factory hardware instructions should be the same across all brands. Besttop has two different hardware styles, factory and "Supertop", for the YJ though. I will reference the Bestop PDFs for both in case you have trouble finding them. If you have window chambers, more than likely you have the Factory style.

The links below will send you to the product on Quadratec.com. Just scroll down to details and there is a PDF link for the instructions. If you need help installing just let us know. I am sure one of us can walk you through it.

Factory Style:

Bestop Super Top Style:

Thanks everyone, for your responses. I'll take a pic or two of the latch issue I mentioned. I figured my explanation was probably pretty confusing. And yes, Gilaguy23, it's rusty. I believe the frame and mounts are still in pretty decent shape though. I've had a couple Cherokee's with bad frames and this one is much better than those were.

SirDoopYJ, thanks for the links. I'll have to lay out my parts and take a look at them, but I think the one I have is the supertop. Those pdf's will be super helpful though.

Thanks again, I'll send pics when I get a chance to take some.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Thanks everyone, for your responses. I'll take a pic or two of the latch issue I mentioned. I figured my explanation was probably pretty confusing. And yes, Gilaguy23, it's rusty. I believe the frame and mounts are still in pretty decent shape though. I've had a couple Cherokee's with bad frames and this one is much better than those were.

SirDoopYJ, thanks for the links. I'll have to lay out my parts and take a look at them, but I think the one I have is the supertop. Those pdf's will be super helpful though.

Thanks again, I'll send pics when I get a chance to take some.
We have a Great group of helpful folks here who will actually look for an answer if they don't already have one.

BTW and off topic, I like your "Flying Tiger" Avatar.
What can I say, I'm cat people.

I rebuilt my vacuum system for the 4WD but another advantage of the Posi-loc is that it's operation is independent from the transfer case so you do have the option of two wheel drive - Low. This can be very helpful if maneuvering a trailer in a parking lot when backing up. More so with a manual than an automatic.

Reactions: SirDoopYJ and Sr.
We have a Great group of helpful folks here who will actually look for an answer if they don't already have one.

BTW and off topic, I like your "Flying Tiger" Avatar.
What can I say, I'm cat people.
Thanks jeepjoe43. I grew up as a cat person, still enjoy them. I do like this forum, the atmosphere here seems much friendlier than some other forums I've been in.

I figured out the issue I'm having with the rear hatch handle threading through the break light bracket behind the spare tire. I went to take some pictures today and notice that the tailgate is pushed in quite a bit. Someone backed into something pretty hard while it was on the dealer's lot I think. I just need to spring for a new tailgate, or find a good used one. How is the used body parts market for these Jeeps? I haven't looked yet.

Thanks jeepjoe43. I grew up as a cat person, still enjoy them. I do like this forum, the atmosphere here seems much friendlier than some other forums I've been in.

I figured out the issue I'm having with the rear hatch handle threading through the break light bracket behind the spare tire. I went to take some pictures today and notice that the tailgate is pushed in quite a bit. Someone backed into something pretty hard while it was on the dealer's lot I think. I just need to spring for a new tailgate, or find a good used one. How is the used body parts market for these Jeeps? I haven't looked yet.
I've got a pointy eared Nit Wit myself.

As far as the forum, if you read Chris' about, he doesn't bend to the BS, Very Nice, Good on Him and better for us!
Wish I could tell you about parts, but I'm new to the YJ platform and most everything I've bought has been new.
What I have found used, I found here.

I'm an old Jeeper and used to scrounging the best junk-yard parts and making them work for an old '43, not so much with this one....
The '43 was my baby, but I'm having a hard time getting the YJ into the game...

I've got a pointy eared Nit Wit myself.

As far as the forum, if you read Chris' about, he doesn't bend to the BS, Very Nice, Good on Him and better for us!
Wish I could tell you about parts, but I'm new to the YJ platform and most everything I've bought has been new.
What I have found used, I found here.

I'm an old Jeeper and used to scrounging the best junk-yard parts and making them work for an old '43, not so much with this one....
The '43 was my baby, but I'm having a hard time getting the YJ into the game...
11 cats here....purely circumstantial.. daughter brings home an in heat cat, son lets cat out. Cat comes back a week later pregnant....has kittens, then the Covid party starts. I couldnt get her to a vet..gets pregnant again, and now we are up to 9 kittens. Wife says "we can't break up the family...." Now all nine kitten are fixed and shots, as well as momma. I already had 2 older cats before these guys. I do love them all though. They are all inside/outside cats. I have cat doors everywhere and they are free to roam all they want. I have a little land so its a great time for them..ok, enough about cats lol.
So, just wondering what you mean by "but I'm having a hard time getting the YJ into the game" I've done a lot of work to mine to make it very well driven for the street. I love this thing. I have a 50k gmc truck thats beautiful but I never drive it, I drive the jeep everywhere.

• Haha
Reactions: SirDoopYJ