Shift tower lock ring

TRevs

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I removed my shifters when I replaced the shift boot, and had a hard time getting the lock ring in the AX-15 shift tower to rotate both for removal and installation. It’s such a small surface area to press down with fingertips and hardly any friction.

Apparently I didn’t get it rotated all the way because the shifter popped out when I was parking yesterday at work. I got the shifter re-engaged enough to drive home, but I need to remove the boot and try to secure that lock ring.

Are there any tricks for getting more grip on that lock ring? Double-sided tape?

I just wear gloves or shove my fingers down in the gap with paper towels or something to allow me to grab the ring and spin it without hurting my fingers. Gloves work well.

It didn’t help that there was MTF residue up there too. I’ll use the paper towels and wedges them in there.

It's important the locking dome and sleeve where it goes are very clean and maybe a light coating of oil. It well get hung up on the slightest amount of gunk

I got it locked in; the paper towels have enough friction. I made a hashmark on the top of the lockring so I could see that it had rotated the right amount.