Shackles at an angle: are my leaf springs bent?

Pesnemesis

while releasing the leaf spring I noticed that the leaf spring was shifting and not aligning with the frame. I installed the boomerang shackles and when done the shackles are slightly in a angle. My question is are the leaf spring bent?

I hope you can see what see

IMG_6116.jpeg

Yes, your track bar is there. That is why the springs are pulled left. The bar is stock length but now expected to center an axle that is further away. Therefore it pulls it towards the left frame rail that the bar is attached to.

You can either get a track bar relocation bracket or you can delete the track bar. I personally like to keep the track bar in place but that’s up to you. I think it helps with handling, but tons of people delete it and are fine with it that way.

Reactions: Stoopid Jeep
Thanks for the info I will get a relocation bracket or adjustable track bar soon
Looks like you have a drop pitman arm. I would use the relocation bracket to relocate the track bar upwards about 1.5” like the pitman arm dropped the drag link. That will make the angles of the two bars parallel again which helps steering feel significantly.

Reactions: Pesnemesis
Not questioning Macho as he has plenty of hands on, but you might try just removing the trac bar as he mentioned and give it a drive. I have on the 2 YJ's Ive had as well as removing the sway bar and it drove fine for what I used it for. That did include the occasional 100+ mile trips at 70mph.

Reactions: Stoopid Jeep
Not questioning Macho as he has plenty of hands on, but you might try just removing the trac bar as he mentioned and give it a drive. I have on the 2 YJ's Ive had as well as removing the sway bar and it drove fine for what I used it for. That did include the occasional 100+ mile trips at 70mph.
I’m thinking of installing a telescope track bar, is it a good idea or not?

Paging Macho :geek:. Ive never used one but the name "telescoping" sounds odd. You either buy one that adjusts and set it where the lenght needs to be or the diff bracket to raise it to near level. Then you have the drag link to deal with or bump steer sets in. Telescoping to me says it slides in and out. Whats the point? thats means its doing nothing as far as a trac bar. The entire point of a trac bar is to eliminate the front diff from moving left/right. A must for coil sprung jeeps of other vehicles but on a leaf sprung rig, I see no point.
From extreme jeep parts. "Give your leaf sprung Jeep Wrangler YJ the benefits of track bar stability without sacrificing articulation. JKS telescoping front track bar provides up to 31 percent more suspension travel than a solid track bar for improved off-road performance. Retains on-road stability for proper handling and safe highway operation. A greaseable slip-shaft design ensures smooth, silent operation, while Teflon®-lined heim joints prevent binding and undue stress on related components. Eliminates the need for track bar relocation brackets that often induce bump steer. Zinc plated and powder coated for excellent protection from corrosion and debris".

Reactions: ytradio
The telescoping is a nice product because I think usually you can unlock them for unfettered off-road use?

The downside is that it uses stock mounting points and your pitman is using a dropped arm. So your angles don’t match. Which will create bump steer. If you’re going to have a track bar, you need to have the angle same with the drag link. That’s why I lean towards using a relocation bracket, as much as I hate that suggestion. And also why I suggest trying it out with no bar to see what you think.

Now, nothing says you can’t use an adjustable and use the relocation bracket to make keep it parallel with drag link while retaining the bar on road for handling and unlocked off-road for good offroad flex.

Reactions: DOWNS
So back to my unfamiliarity of the "telescoping trac bar" I looked at a few on line and see things like greaseable slip joint bla,bla which to me screams basically one could install a 3' long shock in the trac bars place as it has the same affect. But..and I say but , is what looks like a pinch type clamp what I see on them indicating you have to tighten or unloosen the pinch clamp bolt/nut to go from one feature to the other? Seems like a PITA if thats the case.

I put my trac bars, both front and rear, in my “Pile of Things I don’t think I need” and haven’t had any issues either on or off road for 2 years now. My $.02.
Well truth be told, I also did that, 10 years ago. I did notice a decrease in handling though (delayed response) and I went with all new tie rod ends and such as well. So ultimately I decided to put the front back on. Results could vary I guess, and maybe it’s just expectations. I don’t expect sports car handling, I just didn’t like the decrease in handling I did notice.

Mine is pretty much a street only though so I value handling much more than offroad flex.

Because it was free to try, I removed my track bars, just see how it drove,
I never reinstalled them, I have noticed almost zero difference in handling, but ride quality got noticeably better.
I eventually threw them away.
Not saying it's the best answer for everyone, but for the very reasonable price of [$FREE.99], you could sure give it a try.
I have never regretted throwing mine away and I would remove them day one if I ever bought another yj.
-results may vary.

Reactions: ytradio
My personal guess and I stress guess would be that with a softer riding more flexible spring the difference in handling would be more noticeable.

I’m going to remove the track bar and see how it feels driving. I installed boomerang shackle front and rear and what a difference it made my yj ride smooth and not a bumpy ride like it use to be