Pads and shoes?

joe b

I'm looking at new brake pad and shoe options on rock auto and there are several different options and types.
My 93 yj is usually just daily driven but will be taking it on trails and to Colorado mountains also.
Would appreciate any help from you all
Thank you

I really like the Raybestos Element 3 (EHT) stuff for disc brake applications. They have more bite than most stock stuff and are quiet, smooth, and not excess visible dust. For drum shoes I don’t really care, they don’t do much. Something quiet is all I can really ask for there. Any of them will work fine functionally.

As for pads and shoes I think I went with something from the local auto parts store but I can't recall.

But since you'll be in there I can recommend these two links for something to check for and help with installation

1) look for divots in the brake caliper from years of wear: https://wrangleryjforum.com/threads/my-brakes-suck.28425/

2) on the drums make sure you properly seat the small cable around the curves plate and not under it. Half the negative reviews for drum shoes are about the cable when if it's not installed correctly it won't work. https://wrangleryjforum.com/threads/installing-rear-drum-brakes-on-the-yj.27050/

No need to get too fancy. Raybestos, Bendix (OEM of Jeep brakes in that time frame), or Wagner. Rotors and Drums are so cheap now days, I rarely recommend turning rotors or drums. Just get new ones.

The notches/divots mentioned above get worn into the knuckle where the pads ride. I've had good luck with these, filling them in with a welder and using a flap wheel on a grinder to get them level and smooth again. Barring that, replacement of the knuckle is the fix. Those divots can hang the pad up and not let them fully release, especially when new.

Also, the calipers from this era (from the XJ,Yj though the TJ) tend to get stuck. You can try taking them apart and cleaning them if this happens, but new calipers are like rotors and drums, cheap enough, I wouldn't even bother. It's not unusual for me to get a new to me Jeep with an unknown service history and just fully overhaul the brake system with all new rotors, drums, shoes, pads, and calipers.