My brakes suck

Stoopid Jeep

YJ Enthusiast
Everything is new(ish) and functions properly, the brakes just suck.
I'm running 31" tires right now and am going to move to 33' when I wear these out. It won't go bigger than 33's, not with the 4 banger.
The brakes aren't dangerous or anything, they just kinda suck. I have Raybestos semi-metallic pads and shoes, new; rotors, drums, lines, etc.
I'm not really looking to do a big brake upgrade or rear disc swap at this time.
Maybe some ceramic pads?
I get it, It's not a Corvette, but little better stopping power would be nice.
suggestions?

OP
Stoopid Jeep

Stoopid Jeep

YJ Enthusiast
Can you check the brake booster? I can probably lock up the wheels on my 92 YJ with 31's.
There's nothing wrong with them, they're just pretty anemic. I'm sure I could lock them up if stomped on the pedal, I'm just accustomed to good brakes. These ain't good, they're barely adequate.

Reactions: Flyer58

machoheadgames

Certified YJ Researcher
Supporting Member
If you don’t like the metallics, the ceramics will likely be worse. Ceramics give a spongy feel, in general.

You probably have divots in the knuckle ears that need to be welded back in and ground smooth. The knuckle material is too soft and was a poor choice for pads sliding on them.

Then, you need good pads. Good pads on messed up knuckles will do no good because that will destroy the pads and they will never work right with divots. So fix the divots and then I’d say call Blaine at BMB for his pads. Expensive, yeah, they work, also yeah, very well.

I wouldn’t bother with the booster, master or anything else until you’ve tried that. If you can’t weld the divots I bet Blaine will be willing to ship you a set of already fixed knuckles and then you can ship yours back to him to replenish his stock. He is very helpful in ways like that.

Reactions: Stoopid Jeep
OP
Stoopid Jeep

Stoopid Jeep

YJ Enthusiast
If you don’t like the metallics, the ceramics will likely be worse. Ceramics give a spongy feel, in general.

You probably have divots in the knuckle ears that need to be welded back in and ground smooth. The knuckle material is too soft and was a poor choice for pads sliding on them.

Then, you need good pads. Good pads on messed up knuckles will do no good because that will destroy the pads and they will never work right with divots. So fix the divots and then I’d say call Blaine at BMB for his pads. Expensive, yeah, they work, also yeah, very well.

I wouldn’t bother with the booster, master or anything else until you’ve tried that. If you can’t weld the divots I bet Blaine will be willing to ship you a set of already fixed knuckles and then you can ship yours back to him to replenish his stock. He is very helpful in ways like that.
I didn't even know "divots in the knuckle ears" was a thing. If they're devoted, I'm sure I can weld them back up.
I will check that out, thank you!

BMB brake pads, 135 bucks ...ouch.
They do have excellent reviews.

machoheadgames

Certified YJ Researcher
Supporting Member
I didn't even know "divots in the knuckle ears" was a thing. If they're devoted, I'm sure I can weld them back up.
I will check that out, thank you!

BMB brake pads, 135 bucks ...ouch.
They do have excellent reviews.
Yeah, it's a poor design from Jeep. The good thing is that once they are welded, the weld material is typically stronger than the knuckle so they should pretty much live forever from that point forward.

And yup, the BMBs are pricey but I have seen very few be unhappy with them, and they have worked well for me on multiple Jeep and Ford applications. They also like to be used, and 33's should exercise a stock size set of BMBs pretty well, keeping them warm like they like to be.