OEM (stock height) springs

I ordered the extensions just in case . If I were Quadratec, I would have made note of them being required or recommended at a minimum. But….
If you do install the brackets make sure the part on the axle is clean of all dirt and rust because it's a very tight fit in order to have the shock bolt holes line up. Do the rear mounting bolt and nut first then the mounting bolt through the side holes on the bracket or else you may have difficulty getting the rear nut in place if it's done last. You'll understand when you get it in your hands and see it.

Rancho put it on their website and all part suppliers copied it but after many calls nobody had any idea what I was talking about or where to find one, even though it on their page, and Rancho never returned my email question. I finally found the answer on eBay of all places. Go figure.

Well. I would like to give an update on how the ride is with the new shocks but FedEx is lacking in their on time delivery. Shocks should have been here 2 days ago. I have the relocation brackets, but no shocks and no idea when they will be here either. ARRGG.

Well received the shocks and all is well with the rear, but the front is 2” Short on the new shocks. Apparently I have a (1.5”-2.0”) lift. Sending shocks back to see what they can do. The Quadratec shocks were for a 0-1” lift. Now I know.

I did look for a manufacturer of the current shocks but could not find anything. Upon taking the shocks out. Someone painted over the name. I have Rancho RS5168/5113. The 5168 is for 1.0-1.5” lift. Testing the front shocks (trying to extend length) they would hardly extend. Took hella effort to extend. No wonder it’s a rough ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Pics of your springs sure looked similar to stock. We determined you have the 1/2 shackle lift but that makes no difference to shocks, although I guess it does if it's combined with an also small suspension. Really did not look like you had any suspension lift.

Right? The front Ranchos were about 3” longer than the ones Quadratec sent me…total length that is. What’s weird is the rear shocks would work. They are only about 1” diff. The measurements I’m talking about is the collapsed and extended measurements . The body of the shocks is smaller in length than the Ranchos as well. I should have taken pics but all boxed back up and a return request has been submitted.

Right? The front Ranchos were about 3” longer than the ones Quadratec sent me…total length that is. What’s weird is the rear shocks would work. They are only about 1” diff. The measurements I’m talking about is the collapsed and extended measurements . The body of the shocks is smaller in length than the Ranchos as well. I should have taken pics but all boxed back up and a return request has been submitted.
I have half a mind to expect they sent you the wrong front shocks. Because even with 1-2" of lift (based on your pic you're at like 1" maximum), you should still be able to get the shock installed, it just wouldn't allow for much downtravel. Shocks should have enough range for the suspension to flex a few inches in either direction so to me it seems like you got the wrong shocks, it shouldn't be borderline like that with just 1" of suspension lift, or even 2".

Any sort of nomenclature or numbering on the springs? Your springs seriously look like stock, I have never seen an aftermarket spring be so flat and even if it was, a flat spring like that can't be providing but extremely minimal lift.

They sent what I ordered. I did extend the front hydro to max length and test fit it. It only had about 1.5-2” if that

So they would have bolted on or no? I was under the impression they were too short to bolt on. They usually extend themselves so I was assuming you were working with a full length extended shock that was still too short to even bolt on.

Any sort of nomenclature or numbering on the springs? Your springs seriously look like stock, I have never seen an aftermarket spring be so flat and even if it was, a flat spring like
So they would have bolted on or no? I was under the impression they were too short to bolt on. They usually extend themselves so I was assuming you were working with a full length extended shock that was still too short to even bolt on.
Yes they would have at almost max extension. I am no pro with vehicle suspension by the way. So I may be missing something. But the Ranchos are much longer.

I think these are skyjacker rebrands. The stamped numbers are 7055/7012. Same as skyjacker

If I had installed on the front. I may have only had about 1.5-2.0” up travel until max extension.

If I had installed on the front. I may have only had about 1.5-2.0” up travel until max extension.
do you mean downtravel (drooping the wheel)?

My OME shocks for my lift do not have a lot of travel in either direction, but the leaf springs do not travel much anyways so it doesn't matter all that much. I'm not saying you should run these, but it sounds like they're not anywhere near as bad as originally thought. Also, Ranchos are notoriously long typically so they are probably influencing your opinion negatively as well. Rancho is on the opposite end of the spectrum where they are often 1-2" longer than they should be, so you probably want somewhere middle ground between the quadratec and rancho ideally.

In an ideal world, you want the shock length to be proper, but if you have to choose between too long or too short, you want too short.

Probably meant wheel droop. Meaning the shock would extend to maximum length if the wheel dropped. I would say you hit the nail on the head about influence. Nothing else to compare to. Hopefully Quadratec will call tomorrow and we can chat. The rear would work fine though. Starting to wonder now. LOL

I figured that's probably what ya meant but wanted to confirm. Yeah, talk to QT and see what they think. What size tires do you have, and what is your measurement to the bottom of the rocker panel under the doors? We can try to figure out how much extra lift you have if any, beyond the shackles.

I figured that's probably what ya meant but wanted to confirm. Yeah, talk to QT and see what they think. What size tires do you have, and what is your measurement to the bottom of the rocker panel under the doors? We can try to figure out how much extra lift you have if any, beyond the shackles.
Tires. 31/10.5/15
20 1/4”

36F1B79F-7FBA-45D4-821F-2D2A3CA1C205.jpeg

Tires. 31/10.5/15
20 1/4”

View attachment 119024

I’m at exactly 23”, also on 31x10.5 R15.

2.5” lift + 1.25” lift.

So 3.75” lift, and I’m 2.75” taller, which would say you have 1” lift…

BUT, my tires are worn, I would have been a bit taller in the past so I’d say you just have slightly taller tires and a 0.5” shackle lift. I can’t confirm my springs are a full 2.5” lift either. I dunno, lots of variables makes this tough but I’d say you’re barely lifted much over stock.

I’m guessing the tires are pretty close to the fender flares…when I was on stock suspension with 31’s, it was extremely close. Does yours look about 0.5” more than this?

B4866A4B-9D42-4AF9-93FC-1532B26EE569.jpeg

Here ya go. I opened up one of the packages again. The eyelet on the bottom is even with the current shock installed. This is extended to the max.

06CC7880-5B1A-423A-9EBD-B43D498D7C99.jpeg