OEM (stock height) springs

G

gixxerkid3

Hi all.
Question for you that have experience. My ‘92 YJ has what I believe to be the original leaf springs. Not positive though.
They (all 4) are level with a slight positive arch if any. I was thinking of replacing with Omix Ada 18290.13 springs. These are OEM replacement with no lift from what I can see.
My question is, do you think there would be any arch with the new springs, or would the Jeep be back to flat? Below is a link to the springs.

Everything I’ve seen from omix or crown claiming to be “stock replacement” ends up lifting
The Jeep like 1.5-2”. I don’t recall what stock springs looked like with no load on them. They are definitely about flat on the rig.

You can still buy Mopar springs, personally if you want stock, that’s what I’d do.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.
If anyone knows what stock springs look like, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all.

Do you want additional lift? My 92 still has the original spring and they're the same. Basically flat but for just a slight positive curve. Over the last two years of owning it I've been told that's how the factory springs are and it's normal. I installed new shocks which helped quite a bit.

No, no lift wanted. We tow this behind our RV with the occasional trip to the woods. So a lift is really not needed. Here is a pic of right front. Thoughts.

6205CA4F-EF84-4DC1-9F1E-A0C3BD3930D2.jpeg

Unless you just really want new springs, I’d probably try changing shocks and see what happens. And ditch the rear track bar if you haven’t already.

I will do that. What’s the purpose for ditching the track bar? I don’t need “death wobble”. Just an FYI- I am new to jeeps so I have lots of questions.

Nobody truly knows the official reason Jeep added the track bars. Everybody loves to say it was Jeeps way to respond to the rollovers that caused them lawsuits in the CJ days, but that doesn’t really make sense completely because they don’t help with that. The YJ comes with an inferior steering linkage design (inverted T) compared to the CJ. So the CJ steering is pretty responsive while the YJ has some dead spot. The track bar helps with the YJs dead spot in the steering. This is why I don’t always recommend people yank off the front TB. If you start lifting higher then the bar is hard to keep unless you get an adjustable length or a relocation bracket, but the relocation bracket doesn’t always work perfectly and the adjustable length bar doesn’t work right if you use a drop pitman arm because the difference in angles between the two will cause bump steer.

But then they added a TB to the rear too, and there truly is no purpose for that. Even modern day and age, leaf spring trucks don’t have track bars on the rear axle and they never did. So maybe it was some government influence on Jeep’s part. So I always suggest removing the rear.

I always suggest keeping the sway bar and using disconnects for offroad. People say leaf springs don’t need them but I certainly like having them.

Well I just happen to have my '92 sitting next to me. The first difference I notice is your front spring shackle looks different with a middle bolt and maybe longer? Mine measures 4 inches from the frame eyelet to the spring eyelet. I think that's standard length.

1639342213513.png

Last edited:
Oh. Great. I just ordered stock height shocks too. Well this will be interesting.

Should be fine. 1” shackle length translates to 1/2” real world lift since you only lifted one end of the spring. 1/2” is nothing, YJs don’t flex enough to really use their shock travel so it doesn’t matter that much.

Whew. I just looked at Quadratec for the shocks I bought and they say 0-1” lift. We’ll see. Thanks everyone for the info . Will let you know how it goes . Just ordered today.

You’ll be perfectly fine. It’s really not that critical. Hopefully they ride well, they seem to have decent reviews.

For my purposes, I went with these.

View attachment 118991
I purchased a set of the Rancho shocks for my YJ and needed to buy some offset brackets for the lower attachment point to keep the shock tube from hitting the differential axle housing (Rear only). These shocks have a larger diameter tube than the OEM shocks.

I just went through the reviews on you shocks at Quadratic and found this hidden in the comments...

"These are very well built, but the diameter of the shell is much larger than OE shocks, which means they will hit the rear axle (95 YJ for reference). I ended up installing the rear shocks upside down, boot on the bottom, to clear the axle. Probably not ideal but being a single tube shock I can't imagine it's going to have a big impact. It's not like the YJ is known for its brilliant ride quality to begin with so not a big deal..."

I don't see it mentioned anywhere on their website.

These are the brackets I bought from eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1645818046...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

My shock tubes were right against the axle without them

1639407728030.png

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
Of course. I saw that as well. Wonder how that affects the shock/ride/etc. I am very hesitant to install upside down. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased a set of the Rancho shocks for my YJ and needed to buy some offset brackets for the lower attachment point to keep the shock tube from hitting the differential axle housing (Rear only). These shocks have a larger diameter tube than the OEM shocks.

I just went through the reviews on you shocks at Quadratic and found this hidden in the comments...

"These are very well built, but the diameter of the shell is much larger than OE shocks, which means they will hit the rear axle (95 YJ for reference). I ended up installing the rear shocks upside down, boot on the bottom, to clear the axle. Probably not ideal but being a single tube shock I can't imagine it's going to have a big impact. It's not like the YJ is known for its brilliant ride quality to begin with so not a big deal..."

I don't see it mentioned anywhere on their website.

These are the brackets I bought from eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1645818046...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

My shock tubes were right against the axle without them

View attachment 118994
I ordered the extensions just in case . If I were Quadratec, I would have made note of them being required or recommended at a minimum. But….

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.