Lights out?

I have read an article within the last couple years about wire coming from China that was not the proper size it was supposed to be. It had been causing electrical fires.
Ive read many folks say the same about the crap China fuses. They are no where the marked rating and will fry electrical parts.

For fun today I looked at the plugs behind my headlight to see how they wired them. What you see in the factory wiring schematic usually isn't a scale roadmap of the actual harness loom.

Looks like the two are wired in a parallel circuit from left light going to the right. Five wires on the left plug and three crossing over on the right. I don't see how plugging the new harness in either left or right makes a difference.

Left plug
1639182678365.png

Right Plug
1639182754732.png

For all of us talking on this thread a few months back, I stumbled upon this headlight harness for $95. Yeah, a bit more expensive than the Amazon stuff. Personally I would and still do build my own harnesses for this purpose, but for a simple plug and play solution using quality relays and heavy 14 gauge wiring, this looks to be a really solid option. Looks way better than any of the stuff Amazon sells.

Jeep Cables Headlamp Relay Wiring Upgrade

I don't know if there is a circuit breaker in the switch or not but I know the switches die when they get old and from the current flowing through it, which is why so many people put the lights on relays. They do not usually die too quickly, either, they usually do like yours where the lights are intermittently out until it finally dies. The problem is they can go out at any time like you experienced which could really cause you legal trouble or safety trouble if you're out and need to get home.

The headlight current, even both high beams, all flows through the headlight switch and then to the dimmer switch where the power is given to the low beam or the high beam depending on driver selection.

I'd probably throw a new headlight switch at it (mopar are available) and put the lights on relays. They usually brighten up significantly after that too, because of the much better new wiring path. Running through the switch really diminishes the electrical flow.
Macho strikes again

• USA Proud
Reactions: machoheadgames