LED headlight upgrade

So out of curiosity I did the search for the DOT approval of these lights and so far have found squat on NHTSA. I’ll keep looking.
You're not going to find that....DOT does not "approve" anything. DOT has a set of standards and products are supposed to comply with them. AKA, DOT compliance is the technically correct term. So you're wanting anything that is DOT compliant, if you care about it.

Legally not many places care about DOT compliance. I for one though find that light output is most usable and least intrusive to others when it's DOT compliant, so I always only buy items that are compliant. Those super bright headlights that blind everyone on the road, are not compliant. I don't want to be that guy.

You're not going to find that....DOT does not "approve" anything. DOT has a set of standards and products are supposed to comply with them. AKA, DOT compliance is the technically correct term. So you're wanting anything that is DOT compliant, if you care about it.

Legally not many places care about DOT compliance. I for one though find that light output is most usable and least intrusive to others when it's DOT compliant, so I always only buy items that are compliant. Those super bright headlights that blind everyone on the road, are not compliant. I don't want to be that guy.
Figured as much. I found that “Osram Sylvania” just gets the bulb/chip approved. No need to search any further. I was just curious. Seriously considering these and have been for months but was just hesitating to pull the trigger. This post was perfect timing.

Reactions: machoheadgames
So out of curiosity I did the search for the DOT approval of these lights and so far have found squat on NHTSA. I’ll keep looking.
I'm not sure the DOT tests and approves anything but they do set standards which the manufacturing company will adhere to. All this based on their own testing or by an independent company.

Good to see the DOT SAE is molded onto the lens and not just a peel-off sticker.

It's possible that these lights don't actually have DOT approval, I suppose. Regardless, as long as they have "DOT" embossed on them [AND] they don't blind oncoming traffic, it shouldn't be a problem. As long as I don't be get a ticket, it's all good 👌

Reactions: gixxerkid3
It's possible that these lights don't actually have DOT approval, I suppose. Regardless, as long as they have "DOT" embossed on them [AND] they don't blind oncoming traffic, it shouldn't be a problem. As long as I don't be get a ticket, it's all good 👌
I wouldn't worry too much. Here is a reply from the MFR Afex on the Amazon website. Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen if they made false claims.
Quote:
Q: Lots of led lights have fake dot labeling, where can we see the dot compliance certificate?
A: email us we can send you certificate then you can search it on official website see less
By Afex on December 30, 2020

I wouldn't worry too much. Here is a reply from the MFR Afex on the Amazon website. Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen if they made false claims.
Quote:
Q: Lots of led lights have fake dot labeling, where can we see the dot compliance certificate?
A: email us we can send you certificate then you can search it on official website see less
By Afex on December 30, 2020
Yeah, they say you can search on NHTSA website. I found nothing nothing there. Anyway, it’s a chance to take and I would assume that if cops were pulling people over for these lights, guys that have them would be saying something. As long as they are not obnoxiously blinding people, I’m sure cops have other things to do. However, you never know.

Reactions: Flyer58
Amazon just lowered the price in these lights from $79.90 to $74.90.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for clarification…by “unremarkable “ you mean you were not impressed and the lights did not show positive results right?

Do you think it would be ok NOT to use the harness and just hook directly up to stock headlight connectors? Would they overheat?

You’ll be fine as long as the lights don’t draw much. Stock lights draw 35W each (70W total) on low beam. 130 total on high beam. The stock wiring is pretty poor but you won’t have a problem if it’s in decent shape. Most LEDs will be less draw than stock was, so I’d give it a shot.

The pic where you can see the lights better is where I touched the phone screen during the picture to get the brightness to go down.

624472B0-8324-4F8D-83AD-51AEEF599427.jpeg

8036B842-91ED-4CE3-A6AF-452792DCAAAE.jpeg

I did install the wire harness and try it; however, it seemed to have just a tad of a flicker. Not the best Chinese connections, but I do have the harness if needed.

You’ll be fine as long as the lights don’t draw much. Stock lights draw 35W each (70W total) on low beam. 130 total on high beam. The stock wiring is pretty poor but you won’t have a problem if it’s in decent shape. Most LEDs will be less draw than stock was, so I’d give it a shot.
Yep, going to give it a go. Will check heat on plugs after a short drive. These things are freaking bright. LOL

Yep, going to give it a go. Will check heat on plugs after a short drive. These things are freaking bright. LOL
i imagine you’ll be just fine. Your LEDs should be drawing considerably less than stock. Problems usually come up from many years of the stock lights (or brighter) pulling too much power through the headlight switch. Then the corrosion builds up and adds a bunch of resistance to the circuit. If the LEDs are working ok then I imagine they will live that way forever.

I read somewhere last night that the high beams draw about 35W total. Give or take a smidge. Anyway, no issues so far and I returned the wire harness to Amazon today. No radio interference either. I read some people had that.

For the record, I get bright lighted almost every time I drive my JL with factory LED's. Some people just have different definitions of "blinding, "than others.
Well....the JL stuff is annoyingly bright really. They have a sharp cutoff on a wall but they are really quite obnoxious to others. I'd still run them 100% and I like them, but jeep could have done better with their glare. I do also believe some of the jeeps leave the factory not adjusted right which doesn't help.

But, my definition of blinding is usually a lifted truck with unadjusted headlights, a crappy bulb in a housing that throws light everywhere, or finally, a cheap eBay/Amazon knockoff LED that has no cutoff and is practically a flood light on the street. What really annoys me the most though, are people that brag about how blinding their headlights are and how fun it is for them to flash back the people who flash them.

I put the JW speaker 8910 on my YJ recently. Now THOSE are a nice light. They have a ridiculously insane low beam and high beam and yet they are really easy to look at. No glare at all. I don't know what kind of magic they pulled but they did a really good job with them. Of course, their price reflects that.

(I'm not paid by Holley, I just really like these)I have always been drawn to the LED's for their output and light performance. However, I cant get over how fucking cheap and stupid modern aftermarket LED's look. With the clear lens and funky looking bulbs, it's like aftermarket manufactures are marketing them towards the folks from the past with their euro taillights, underglow, and body kits on their late 90's, early 2000's civics, del-sol's, Miata's, and Camry's.

if you want a good looking, factory looking LED, Holly has some really nice looking retromod headlights that keep the factory look but with LED's inside. I'll buy some this month and try them out.

Well....the JL stuff is annoyingly bright really. They have a sharp cutoff on a wall but they are really quite obnoxious to others. I'd still run them 100% and I like them, but jeep could have done better with their glare. I do also believe some of the jeeps leave the factory not adjusted right which doesn't help.

But, my definition of blinding is usually a lifted truck with unadjusted headlights, a crappy bulb in a housing that throws light everywhere, or finally, a cheap eBay/Amazon knockoff LED that has no cutoff and is practically a flood light on the street. What really annoys me the most though, are people that brag about how blinding their headlights are and how fun it is for them to flash back the people who flash them.

I put the JW speaker 8910 on my YJ recently. Now THOSE are a nice light. They have a ridiculously insane low beam and high beam and yet they are really easy to look at. No glare at all. I don't know what kind of magic they pulled but they did a really good job with them. Of course, their price reflects that.
I couldn't agree more, I cant stand unadjusted headlights in my rearview. Nor was my post a brag, I can see how it could come off like that.

tuning and adjustment could be done with a a lot of factory headlights. Cheap lights are even worse.

(I'm not paid by Holley, I just really like these)I have always been drawn to the LED's for their output and light performance. However, I cant get over how fucking cheap and stupid modern aftermarket LED's look. With the clear lens and funky looking bulbs, it's like aftermarket manufactures are marketing them towards the folks from the past with their euro taillights, underglow, and body kits on their late 90's, early 2000's civics, del-sol's, Miata's, and Camry's.

if you want a good looking, factory looking LED, Holly has some really nice looking retromod headlights that keep the factory look but with LED's inside. I'll buy some this month and try them out.

Those are a really attractive option. I believe @SirDoopYJ has decided to go with them on his in the classic white.