Gearing question

Brush Beater

just bought 89 yj w/33's and dana 35 rear/30 front both have lockers in them . Problem is gear ratio is close to 300 (3:08?). How low of a gear can I change to without getting rid of carriers, 4;56s? thanks. New to thread.

The rear axle carrier break is 3.07 vs everything else, and the front axle is 3.07-3.55 and 3.73-5.13.

Are they lunchbox lockers? I believe lunchbox lockers work on either carrier break, and you'd need new carriers but could move the lockers over. Of course you'd have to pay for the new carrier themselves, which would probably run $300.

awsome! thanks for info. so if want to go to 4:56 gears there are new carriers that will take them? Rear acts like a lunch box but seller did not know. bought a project to sort out. I'm okay with going back to open diffs for now

awsome! thanks for info. so if want to go to 4:56 gears there are new carriers that will take them? Rear acts like a lunch box but seller did not know. bought a project to sort out. I'm okay with going back to open diffs for now
Yes, new carriers will do it. I believe they are the 44590 and the 706008x carriers. You will need sets of spider gears for them.

Probably the lunchbox lockers in both in my opinion. I can’t see someone changing the diffs to lockers and leaving the 307 gears.

Reactions: machoheadgames
thanks for the reply. I'm trying to change out the 3:07 gears to 4:56 gears and needed to know if the 3:07 carriers would except the 4:56 ring gear. sorry about the confusion

thanks for the reply. I'm trying to change out the 3:07 gears to 4:56 gears and needed to know if the 3:07 carriers would except the 4:56 ring gear. sorry about the confusion
No confusion, if the lockers are the lunchbox type they can be reused in the new carriers. that should save you some cash.