AX15

Brian

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Has anyone rebuilt their own 5 speed trans? I like a challenge, but this scares me some. Is it difficult if I go slow and layout pieces in order?

I cant recall how the case is setup on the 15 but I did the T case and trans from my 87 Samaurai. Take pics as you go, make a stand to stack gears ect in order as you pull them off shafts and bag and label small parts. Bet you can do it ;)

I cant recall how the case is setup on the 15 but I did the T case and trans from my 87 Samaurai. Take pics as you go, make a stand to stack gears ect in order as you pull them off shafts and bag and label small parts. Bet you can do it ;)
Thanks it is tempting, They just poured the concrete for my garage today, once i get the building i will have to try.

I rebuilt my AX-5 5-speed without too many problems. Follow the steps in the Factory Service Manual found in this forum and you'll be ok. There are several small springs and locking balls which can roll out - or fly out- so be careful. You will need a press to get some of the gears and bearing off the shafts in order to get the the synchros. Most gear pullers can be loaned for free at your local auto parts store.

Probably the hardest part is getting the transmission out and back in. It's heavy but doable with rolling floor jacks.

I took 100's of photos during the disassembly which helped a lot when putting it together.

Plan on replacing the clutch too while you're in there.

ra5.JPG

ra7a.jpg

Reactions: SirDoopYJ
I would also look at Novak, the complete ax15 that they offer is $1690. Compare that to the cost of parts and time, labor.

I rebuilt my AX-5 5-speed without too many problems. Follow the steps in the Factory Service Manual found in this forum and you'll be ok. There are several small springs and locking balls which can roll out - or fly out- so be careful. You will need a press to get some of the gears and bearing off the shafts in order to get the the synchros. Most gear pullers can be loaned for free at your local auto parts store.

Probably the hardest part is getting the transmission out and back in. It's heavy but doable with rolling floor jacks.

I took 100's of photos during the disassembly which helped a lot when putting it together.

View attachment 119294

View attachment 119295
Terrifying!!!! Have to get my courage up.

I spent about $150 for the complete AX-% rebuild kit which included the same brand bearings as the factory. Looks like the AX-15 kits are going for $300. I bought the LUK clutch through Amazon.

I've heard great things about Novak.

I would also look at Novak, the complete ax15 that they offer is $1690. Compare that to the cost of parts and time, labor.
That's what I did. Mine was my daily and a rebuild was not an option at the time. Got the newest version of what they make which is stronger than ever and no worries about it being built right (I don't really trust my own transmission job). The price is not for everyone, but it certainly worked out for my case. Plus I sold the old one to someone warning them it was a bit notchy, for $400. $1220 for a brand new trans isn't too bad. The sale was about 1620 total from Novak shipped to a fedex office where I picked it up.

If you do proceed with rebuild, post up as much info as you can on it. Always good to have more detailed experiences. Also check out the youtube rebuilds, back in 2014 I watched a 5 video series on an AX15, so you should be able to find some good helpful stuff.

If you do proceed with rebuild, post up as much info as you can on it. Always good to have more detailed experiences. Also check out the youtube rebuilds, back in 2014 I watched a 5 video series on an AX15, so you should be able to find some good helpful stuff.
Thanks for all the advice, I will still wait till my garage is finished. In the meantime my Husqvarna saw just quit and my Dixie Chopper has decided to be contrary. Always something!

View attachment 119294

View attachment 119295

would love to see your all of your rebuild photos..would you please post them or post a link to them?