YJ muffler

BuckeyeJeep

95, 4 liter. Just wondering if anyone had an aftermarket “performance “ muffler and how it sounded.
Was thinking a cherry bomb or flownaster.
Want it to sound a little throaty but not like a muscle car
Any thoughts? Or experience?
Thanks

Nothing like sitting in a metal box for hours with the drone from a mufflerless muffler. Thats my $.02 Been there, done that without the cat as well. It sucks,it stinks and it made 0 HP gains.

I have the magnaflow exhaust because I was tired of my exhausts rotting even in TX and wanted to go with something hopefully higher quality. It is a bit loud but not too drony. You will def hear it around town but on the highway isn't bad to me. I had a flowmaster 44 for a while, that was terrible. Can't believe I suffered with that thing for an entire 9 months.

Personally I was a sucker for stock, didn't ever want to mess with it but it started rattling bad against the tub and the pipe nearly was rusted off of it, so I had to do something. Went with stock, Flowmaster, Dynomax, Magnaflow. Dynomax had a great sound and was very quiet on the highway, but it rusted off in about 2 years. Was not pleased with that.

I have the magnaflow exhaust because I was tired of my exhausts rotting even in TX and wanted to go with something hopefully higher quality. It is a bit loud but not too drony. You will def hear it around town but on the highway isn't bad to me. I had a flowmaster 44 for a while, that was terrible. Can't believe I suffered with that thing for an entire 9 months.

Personally I was a sucker for stock, didn't ever want to mess with it but it started rattling bad against the tub and the pipe nearly was rusted off of it, so I had to do something. Went with stock, Flowmaster, Dynomax, Magnaflow. Dynomax had a great sound and was very quiet on the highway, but it rusted off in about 2 years. Was not pleased with that.
So I gather there was no answer to an exhaust that is reasonably quiet yet will last?

I went through Rock Auto to get a full Walker exhaust and overall very pleased with the fit and price but there was one problem with the head pipe near the O2 sensor collar. They crimp a flat spot in the pipe to weld the collar on. This crimp on the walker was too much and there were MIG wires sticking down into the tube. I called Walker and they said the crimped pipe should be no less than 1.75 inches, mine was at 1.5 inches. I exchanged it for another through Rock Auto without any trouble and within a week had the new head pipe. BUT it too was crimped down to 1.5 inches. I called Walker to tell them there's a manufacturing issue, not sure if it's fixed. All other bends and lengths were perfect. Hangers and clamps were included.

1639326678553.png

1639326915026.png

OEM down pipe

1639326973217.png

Reactions: Brian
I went through Rock Auto to get a full Walker exhaust and overall very pleased with the fit and price but there was one problem with the head pipe near the O2 sensor collar. They crimp a flat spot in the pipe to weld the collar on. This crimp on the walker was too much and there were MIG wires sticking down into the tube. I called Walker and they said the crimped pipe should be no less than 1.75 inches, mine was at 1.5 inches. I exchanged it for another through Rock Auto without any trouble and within a week had the new head pipe. BUT it too was crimped down to 1.5 inches. I called Walker to tell them there's a manufacturing issue, not sure if it's fixed. All other bends and lengths were perfect. Hangers and clamps were included.

View attachment 118983

View attachment 118984

OEM down pipe

View attachment 118985
Good to know. Do you know the life expectancy? Is it quiet?

Good to know. Do you know the life expectancy? Is it quiet?
Yes it's very quiet now but my original one had the pipe separating from the muffler so it was loud.

Walker says a premium exhaust should last 2-3 years depending on the environment which sound like a very short time considering I've had two pickup trucks over 20 years old and still have the original stainless system.

The Walker exhaust I bought is aluminized steel which some places say 3-5 years.

I once had a cheap steel exhaust system installed and it rusted out in less than a year.

This is near Houston so no salt on the roads here.

I found this from Summit racing

1639406744088.png

Reactions: Brian
Yes it's very quiet now but my original one had the pipe separating from the muffler so it was loud.

Walker says a premium exhaust should last 2-3 years depending on the environment which sound like a very short time considering I've had two pickup trucks over 20 years old and still have the original stainless system.

The Walker exhaust I bought is aluminized steel which some places say 3-5 years.

I once had a cheap steel exhaust system installed and it rusted out in less than a year.

This is near Houston so no salt on the roads here.

I found this from Summit racing

View attachment 118992
Thx, Sounds like the best ec onomical way to go

Reactions: Flyer58