Wrangler fuel pump issues

Clean YJ

My 1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ with the 4.0 6 cylinder and 92,000 actual miles is having fuel pump issues. A year after i bought the YJ, I decided to replace the fuel pump becasue it was making noise (original pump) and the sending unit was bad. I had the fuel assembly replaced in March of 2022, 3 months and 1,000 miles later, it stopped working and was replaced under waranty. Seven months later, this pump quit and was again replaced under warranty. I asked the mechanics if there were issues with dirt/contamination in the fuel tank or wiring issues. They said none, won't tell me what type of pump was used or show me the pump. The only reason I returned to their shop was because they warrantied the pump. Anyone have thoughts on what is going on or have similar situations? The mechanic advised a "bad lot of pumps" and new pumps aren't meant to run on ethanol gas. Help!

My 1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ with the 4.0 6 cylinder and 92,000 actual miles is having fuel pump issues. A year after i bought the YJ, I decided to replace the fuel pump becasue it was making noise (original pump) and the sending unit was bad. I had the fuel assembly replaced in March of 2022, 3 months and 1,000 miles later, it stopped working and was replaced under waranty. Seven months later, this pump quit and was again replaced under warranty. I asked the mechanics if there were issues with dirt/contamination in the fuel tank or wiring issues. They said none, won't tell me what type of pump was used or show me the pump. The only reason I returned to their shop was because they warrantied the pump. Anyone have thoughts on what is going on or have similar situations? The mechanic advised a "bad lot of pumps" and new pumps aren't meant to run on ethanol gas. Help!
How recently have you changed your fuel filter…it might help. Also, have you cleaned out your gas tank. I have also had fuel pump failure after replacing it about a year ago.

How recently have you changed your fuel filter…it might help. Also, have you cleaned out your gas tank. I have also had fuel pump failure after replacing it about a year ago.
I have a 93 yj 4.0 5 Speed manual.
10 years driving before changing the fuel pump. Probably the original pump.

I have about two years on replacement and it is failing.

I cut a hole in the bed so I don’t need to drop the tank as it now seems I will be replacing the pump every few years.

I think I will carry a spare now as well.

200k miles and still runs great.

In my research, I came to the conclusion that Bosch is oem, and the best choice.

Bosch was not available when I replaced mine. Most internet "experts" recommended Carter as the best alternative.

I installed a Carter about 2 years ago.

At the same time, I replaced all the rubber fuel line with Gates Barricade line, as well as changing the fuel filter.

so far so good.

Most of the pump options are hot garbage. That is almost assuredly the issue in your case. Bosch is one of the good options.

Also, there are known problems with full sending unit pump assemblies using poor quality fuel hoses from the pickup to the pump itself, which busts and leave you stranded. So….try to get a better pump, and definitely use a fuel injection hose to connect the pump to the pickup tube/filter sock.

Reactions: Stoopid Jeep

I have a 95 Wrangler with the 2.5 motor. I am on my fourth fuel pump this year. I was also told it is probably because of the parts from CHINA. I was looking for a Boshe fuel pump. Does any one have a link to one that has worked?