Wiper question

Gilaguy23

YJ Enthusiast
Since Ive owned my 91 the wipers had to be shut off in just the right spot or they stopped where ever on the windshield you stopped them at. Today the high speed stopped working as well. I think that happened a couple years ago, but I'll be if I can recall how fixed that one. So, just how do the wipers know to stop at the base of the glass when you shut them off?? Electrical has never been my favorite area.

Wiper motor has a parking switch in it that disables current to the wipers at the exact right time to stop them properly. It gives them power until they reach that point in the cycle. Parking switch goes bad, the switch lets them stop as soon as you turn them off, so they stop wherever.

Long story short, new motor fixes that.

As for the high mode, that could be a bad motor issue too, or could also be bad switch in the steering column.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Thank you for the expertise on the bugger. Looks like its time to order a new motor and get it fixed before the slow speed peters out too and we get our first snow up here.

Guess I will be changing mine too. Mine act silly when turning them off. They also flop a little when doing 70 on the hwy.

Is there a way to clock them in a certain position when off, or does the wiper motor know where to position it? Mine seem to sit a little low when off.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Guess I will be changing mine too. Mine act silly when turning them off. They also flop a little when doing 70 on the hwy.

Is there a way to clock them in a certain position when off, or does the wiper motor know where to position it? Mine seem to sit a little low when off.
Mine are working fine, not that I use them very much, but one more thing to be aware of.

Just pop the arms off of the splined nubs and put them back on at whatever spline orientation you want. The FSM has a sort of guide for where they should be when off if I remember right. Wiper motor knows where to stop them but if they aren't installed onto the rotating nubs, then the motor is going to stop them in what is the wrong location because they aren't oriented properly.

If their sloppy and flop around a bit you might have the same issue I had with mine. That being the two of the three screws were all that was holding it in place and they were half way backed out.

If their sloppy and flop around a bit you might have the same issue I had with mine. That being the two of the three screws were all that was holding it in place and they were half way backed out.
Where are you buying your motor at? Napa auto has nothing. I was thinking about buying one from Rock Auto. There are two front motors:

WAI Global $37.99

Cardone $50.99

I am not sure the difference other than price.

Where are you buying your motor at? Napa auto has nothing. I was thinking about buying one from Rock Auto. There are two front motors:

WAI Global $37.99

Cardone $50.99

I am not sure the difference other than price.
Upon further thought, Macho may have a point on the switch, but like I've said, not had any trouble with mine.
But I can say that even though I know everything I've gotten from Rock is Chinese, they've been pretty solid...

Yep, RA is where I get lots of my stuff from and will the wiper motor. The Cardone is a rebuild and pricey. The others are $40 or so same as scamazon who Im getting pretty tires of dealing with.

You're pretty much at the mercy of the chinese for the wiper motor. Autozone and Rockauto both sell the same stuff. I have a buddy in florida who says his haven't lasted more than a few years, but it is what it is....it's not really a difficult swap just annoying.

The wipers not stopping at the right spot is a MOTOR issue, caused by a parking switch built into the motor going bad. It's not serviceable. The only possible switch issue I see is Gila's high speed issue, but if he has to replace the motor anyways, he may as well wait to see if that fixes the high speed issue, if it doesn't then change the wiper switch in the steering column.

From the FSM regarding motor operation:

A circuit breaker in the fuse block powers the standard wiper system. The standard wiper system operates at either LOW or HIGH speeds. In the ACCESSORY or RUN position, the ignition switch connects circuit A1 from fuse 4 in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) with circuit A31. Circuit A31 supplies voltage to circuit V6 through the circuit breaker in cavity 11 of the fuse block. Circuit V6 is double crimped at the circuit breaker and supplies power to the wiper switch and the park switch in the wiper motor. Circuit Z1 provides ground for the wiper motor and switch. When the operator moves the wiper switch to the LOW position, battery voltage passes through the switch to circuit V3. Circuit V3 feeds the wiper motor low speed brushes. If the operator selects wiper HIGH speed operation, the wiper switch passes current to circuit V4. Circuit V4 feeds the wiper motor high speed brushes. As the windshield wiper motor turns, the park switch, internal to the motor, moves from its DOWN position to the UP position. When the wiper switch is turned OFF, the V5 circuit prevents the wipers from stopping in any position but park.

Based on that, I'm going to guess his wiper motor will cure both issues, but we shall see. I know for sure the wiper motor will cure the parking issue.

To turn my wipers off, I have to set the dot to mist. So I must have a column switch issue as well?
What is the dot you’re referring to, the hollow circle? My mist paddle is sprint loaded and so is the end of the wiper stalk if I rotate it towards me all the way…meaning I can only set it to off. Can’t set it on mist because that’s all spring loaded and won’t stay on there. Is yours not this way?

5B34CB5D-F1D2-4AEF-B97F-F2EA4924BF87.jpeg

hmm hard to say what’s normal because my solid circle on the right is gone. Does it feel like it works properly if you don’t look at the stalk?

Speaking of auto parts stores like Orieleys. Stopped in for a 3' piece of 5/16 fuel line. $21 and change they wanted. I cant stand the place but it was the only one open to get a friends tractor running. Thats the last penny I give the SOB's.