Why is there so much hate against YJ square headlight Jeeps?

renegadeyj

I think the square headlights make the YJ a handsome and refined looking Jeep. Anyone who works in manufacturing knows a decision to go from round to square headlights caused thousands of hours of discussion. Why the hate for the YJ? The leaf spring issue?

Probably goes back to when it first came out with the small wheels and low-rider look with a wide stance. I think it takes on a whole new look just by adding larger tires and the lift kit brings it even closer to the former Jeep appearance.

When I see other YJ's on the road I think most look pretty good and now the square headlights make it unique in a good way.

It's not necessarily the YJs fault. Some of us are old enough to have been wrenching in the 80s, and we know that those square headlights are the visual representation of some of the most dismal years the American automotive industry has ever known. First, that was the time when American rigs were half standard half metric due to the industry gradually switching over. Then the US car industry was getting it's butt handed to it by the Japanese, and economic times were hard anyway so they were under intense pressure to build 'em cheaper and cheaper. It was the last gasp of the carburetor on production rigs, and endless vacuum-run widgets to get them to pass emissions. The yj missed the dreaded smog pump, but a lot of square headlight rigs had them. Remember the Chrysler K car? the Chevy Chevette? The fact that they were hard to kill just meant that the lousy driving experience and tacky styling went on and on. A lot of square headlight rigs also had the laughable 80 mph speedometer that was regulated in in '79 and out in '81, just long enough for Detroit to order a whole bunch of them that then got used into the mid 80s.

Don't expect the square headlights to be an endearing feature for some of us. There's no nostalgia in that era for those of us who remember it. I tolerate mine, but honestly would like it better with a CJ hood and grill, and anyone who doesn't like it can stuff it. I don't care what you think about my rig, and you shouldn't care what I think about yours. The whole point of a Wrangler is to please yourself.

First, that was the time when American rigs were half standard half metric due to the industry gradually switching over.

LOL, They were switching over to metric because it was so much better yet still to this day the world standard is 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive ratchets to make them work. :)

My intake manifold has about 10 bolts or fittings on it and it's split as to SAE or metric depending on what is attached to it. Very frustrating.

Reactions: jpjeep26uk
Took the plunge yesterday and bought a 1993 YJ to add to the 2020 JT in the garage! Now the work starts. 😂
1837E715-823E-4F0C-9C5E-E77808AB4130.jpeg

Like Huey says, “It’s Hip to be Square!” Ever throw a wave to a $50K brand new Jeep with $50K more in bling that’s never even seen a dirt road? Don’t waste your time. They’ll just look look at you like you’re pushing a shopping cart. Other than my mother, the longest relationship I’ve had in my life is with my YJ, but I do occasionally talk to my ex-wife on the phone. Bitch.C377B4AC-7D63-42E7-A0F1-20DB4BACB7C5.jpeg

Whose headlights are square? Ive never seen square headlights on a Jeep Wrangler.

People who claim square headlights Are ugly on a Jeep really need to think about what they are saying, they hate a Jeep feature that doesnt exists.

Last time I checked the YJ headlights were rectangles. Those folks are idiots.

Never understood this either. Lots of elementary school age math lessons made it pretty clear to me. A square can be considered a rectangle because a rectangle only has 4 right angles as its criteria. A rectangle can NOT be considered a square since a square must have 4 right angles AND 4 equal sides. Silly Jeepers.

That said, I am quite fond of the rectangle headlamps on my Jeep. I think they provide a nice uniqueness that you see rarely, although I can also understand the related disdain that others mentioned due to the time frame they came out. As for looks, lots of YJs are ugly but usually that is because they are bone stock or the owner made (in my opinion) poor appearance choices. To each their own. They can look pretty damn good to me if built the way I like them.

Reactions: Whiplash2130
There was a time when there were lots of jokes about the square lights, but now they've gotten a lot more respect. They're old, they've been around and paid their dues and have a bare bones no frills character. the square headlight jeeps on the trail are there because some real Jeeper kept them alive. Rarely see a square headlight mall crawler.

There was a time when there were lots of jokes about the square lights, but now they've gotten a lot more respect. They're old, they've been around and paid their dues and have a bare bones no frills character. the square headlight jeeps on the trail are there because some real Jeeper kept them alive. Rarely see a square headlight mall crawler.
YJ owners don’t bitch for nothin. The YJ next doors rims are cooler? Who cares?? Mesh top?Camo top?Spice denim? The best YJs don’t even have tops! AAAARRRRRGGGG!!!! I need a Xanax! Nah man. Us YJers are chill. JK doesn’t wave at us? Fuck em. We’ll wave at a Cavalier. At least the seats are interchangeable

Took the plunge yesterday and bought a 1993 YJ to add to the 2020 JT in the garage! Now the work starts. 😂 View attachment 116067
I just bought one too! Same year and color!! @ things I thought I'd never own is a square headlight Jeep, or a Jeep with a 4 banger... oops... I have both in one package. Hey do you know what the hoop looking holders are on the rear? Small fuel or water can holders? Hmm... Congrats on your YJ!
Jeep YJ.jpg

Last edited:
I think the hoops were put there to meet some bumper requirement, as the spare stuck out much more than the actual bumper. But they can be useful for attaching stuff.

Reactions: Fenway1
The top selling car in 1986 was the Chevrolet Celebrity. It also had “square” headlights. But we don’t even remember that car do we? It’s neither revered nor reviled, merely forgotten. The YJ is classic and oozes class. And it’s all about the headlights. All.

I just bought one too! Same year and color!! @ things I thought I'd never own is a square headlight Jeep, or a Jeep with a 4 banger... oops... I have both in one package. Hey do you know what the hoop looking holders are on the rear? Small fuel or water can holders? Hmm... Congrats on your YJ!View attachment 116098
Hello,
Congrats on your recently purchased YJ, those hoops are actually the bumpers, I thought the same when I just purchased mine 6 months ago, they’re called bumperetts, “ The bumperette is used to dampen shocks from impacts and protect the frame”, I removed my bumpers and installed new ones,
Have fun with your rig.
👍🏼

I heard this gruff sounding voice in a parking lot the other week say “Nice ass.” I looked over and big dude said, “I was talking bout your Jeep”

EF64B4B1-A837-4018-AA07-AF3B7A4D0510.jpeg

I hated those “bumperettes” and love my clean new look. If I’m 4xing I’ll church a spare in back. Otherwise if I get a flat the old lady can bring me one