What route would I take from South Florida to Arizona?

Whiplash2130

YJ Enthusiast
I recently purchased a ‘93 YJ. Gorgeous body but mechanically needs some work (which is being done by my local 4x4 shop). I won’t bore you with the details here. My question for you guys is what route would I take from South Florida to Arizona this winter with the understanding that max speed would be 50 - 55 mph? P.S. I may tow a 5x8 enclosed trailer.
1CA485FF-F5A6-4022-955E-8FF751666953.jpeg

Can't give you advice about the route, but enjoy the trip. Some years ago I took a cross country trip in my YJ and had a great time. Took the Point Sublime 4x4 trail in the north rim of Grand Canyon, took the trail over Hurricane pass in Colorado (a bit of white knuckle experience).

Reactions: Whiplash2130
In Florida on the west side/north of Tampa there's Hwy 19 and 98 which is scenic and was relatively calm for traffic once you get out of the Clearwater area (alive). Hwy 98 does follow the coastline through the Florida panhandle which is a nice ride.

I-10 can be like the Indy 500 at times where the normal flow is 75-80 mph. I've made many trips between Pensacola and Houston and made several detours north of I-10 through Louisiana on Hwy 190 from Baton Rouge to Beaumont TX . Very scenic open road, mostly old farming communities, with little traffic and speed is around 55. Plenty of gas stations.

Through the east part of Texas you can take 105 through Conroe and on to 290 out to Austin and beyond and then hook up to I-10 again.

In the YJ with a 15 gallon tank I'd plan on stopping every 200 miles. Your mileage may vary. Bring ear plugs.

I agree with your comments, Florida won’t be an issue, thanks for the tip on Louisiana, Texas scares me due to the 80 mph speed limits (I had a tractor trailer pass on the grass shoulder because I was driving my truck camper and towing a cargo trailer at 65 mph!). I may try to skip Texas all together.

Reactions: Flyer58
From my personal experience, if you drop the windshield you can maintain a much higher speed on a long trip. Just be prepared to clean your “sunnies” often and don’t smile cause bugs.

From my personal experience, if you drop the windshield you can maintain a much higher speed on a long trip. Just be prepared to clean your “sunnies” often and don’t smile cause bugs.
I like that you’re thinking outside the box! But that may be difficult in January. Lol

I recently purchased a ‘93 YJ. Gorgeous body but mechanically needs some work (which is being done by my local 4x4 shop). I won’t bore you with the details here. My question for you guys is what route would I take from South Florida to Arizona this winter with the understanding that max speed would be 50 - 55 mph? P.S. I may tow a 5x8 enclosed trailer.View attachment 116139

Does it handle poorly or something? Not trying to push you to go faster or anything but 55 mph is pretty slow for a really long road trip like that. My YJ in good condition easily handles 70-75 or higher. I am from Texas so I have driven many miles at 80 and it has never been an issue at all. Not saying you need to go 80 but something probably needs fixin’ if it feels too scary to go faster than 55. Just a thought.

Correct! As purchased, drives like crap. It has a 2.5L 4 cylinder motor and I don’t expect much. In the shop now to re-wheel, re-tire, all new suspension, fix leaks and re. - gear if necessary. We will see what it does after the first $5000.

Last edited:
Correct! As purchased, drives like crap. It has a 2.5L 4 cylinder motor and I don’t expect much. In the shop now to re-wheel, re-tire, all new suspension, fix leaks and re. - gear if necessary. We will see what it does after the first $5000.
Nice. Good luck with the changes. The 2.5 will definitely struggle with 33's. A regear to 5.13 gears will fix that issue right up the best it can be fixed, if keeping the 33's. If downsizing to 30s or 31s, 4.88 will do.

I just watched a video on how to make 15 gallon a 20. I'm going to do it. Might give you more options and the mod is free. Looks fairly easy but I got two left thumbs

I just watched a video on how to make 15 gallon a 20. I'm going to do it. Might give you more options and the mod is free. Looks fairly easy but I got two left thumbs

I've read about this and the only safety issue is that air space is used in case the tank get dented from underneath or if hit from the rear, That air may keep the full tank from rupturing.

Can you post a link? I’m still trying to figure out what size tank I have but if it turns out I have the smaller tank, I’ll most likely take on this project.

I recently purchased a ‘93 YJ. Gorgeous body but mechanically needs some work (which is being done by my local 4x4 shop). I won’t bore you with the details here. My question for you guys is what route would I take from South Florida to Arizona this winter with the understanding that max speed would be 50 - 55 mph? P.S. I may tow a 5x8 enclosed trailer.View attachment 116139
Update: I just got the YJ back from the shop. The rear end has been re-geared ti 410, new brakes all the way around (new rotors, calipers, drums and shoes). New exhaust front to rear. New leaf springs and shackles front and rear. New tires (5) and wheels 255x70x16 Falken Wildpeak AT3’s. No issues using 5th gear anymore. Thus far I’ve run it up to 62 mph (still have more throttle). I want to get a alignment done this week. Also need to get my transfer case shifter properly rigged. Photos to come.

I've read about this and the only safety issue is that air space is used in case the tank get dented from underneath or if hit from the rear, That air may keep the full tank from rupturing.
I'm hitting pastures is all so I think I'll be good. Great consideration thanks.

Can you post a link? I’m still trying to figure out what size tank I have but if it turns out I have the smaller tank, I’ll most likely take on this project.
They were all actually 20. The longer vent tube in some gave a 15 option.why anyone would want it, idunno. I'll. Find the link .I know it was on youtube.

They were all actually 20. The longer vent tube in some gave a 15 option.why anyone would want it, idunno. I'll. Find the link .I know it was on youtube.
At the gas station the longer vent tube would show pressure difference and make it shut off at 15. I gather after mod you need to be careful to not spray gas when close to full.

Update: I just got the YJ back from the shop. The rear end has been re-geared ti 410, new brakes all the way around (new rotors, calipers, drums and shoes). New exhaust front to rear. New leaf springs and shackles front and rear. New tires (5) and wheels 255x70x16 Falken Wildpeak AT3’s. No issues using 5th gear anymore. Thus far I’ve run it up to 62 mph (still have more throttle). I want to get a alignment done this week. Also need to get my transfer case shifter properly rigged. Photos to come.
My new photos are too high a resolution to post... need to figure out how to reduce their size. Site admin should try to fix on their end too!

My new photos are too high a resolution to post... need to figure out how to reduce their size. Site admin should try to fix on their end too!

If you're using Windows there's a Snip and Sketch program where you can select anything on your screen and save it as a very small Mb file. Choose NEW and then click and drag the box across to capture what you want.

There's probably a YouTube video for it.

On a phone you can view the picture and then take a screenshot with is usually a much lower file size but same resolution.

Last edited: