What is this A/C evaporator valve for?

yjeep

hi

The old evaporator didn't have it.

What is this little valve used for?

GP_4711772 (1).jpeg

If that's a Schrader valve (tire valve) it's used to test the low pressure or suction side of the system or add freon.

After all these years there's a good chance your coil or the one you're replacing has been changed before and either, or both, are aftermarket and might be slightly different to include the valve or not.

Usually the high and low pressure connectors are on the engine side of the firewall. I don't know anything about AC on the YJ or where the valves are located on the original equipment.

thank you Flyer58!
As it is, the AC gas does not go in.
I can just put in the Schrader valve?

thanks try out

IF it is a schrader valve they will be one of two sizes so you don't accidentally connect the refrigerant can to the high pressure side and have it explode. Most auto parts stores sell a small kit with different valve cores because after a while they tend to leak over time.

Is the inside of that connector threaded?

Once you get everything together and charged use soapy water to check for leaks.

It's hard to see because it was installed, but I think it was inside.
But if not inside
Can anything be done to stop the gas leak using the outside?

If there isn't a valve inside you'll need to install one. I don't think any cap will work by itself. I'm surprised it didn't ship with one installed.

It may be worth stopping by an AC shop because the system should be checked for leaks first and you need to pull a vacuum before adding refrigerant. Or you may have a contaminated system which will cause damage.