What does it take to convert non-intermittent wipers to intermittent?

Welder57

Hello everyone. Does anyone know what it takes to convert my 91 yj non intermittent wiper system to a intermittent system? Thank for your help.

I believe the only differences are the wiper switch in the column, the turn signal stalk, and the addition of the delay control box. Jeeps with intermittent wipers have a control box at the bottom of the dash that has two plugs into it. Jeeps without delay have the same setup, except no box and the plugs that normally would go to the box, are plugged into each other.

I believe if you change the wiper switch, add the proper turn signal lever, and plug in a delay box (sourced from eBay or similar) between your two plugs, you should be good to go.

All that said, honestly I don’t really use the delay function that much. I find “low” seems to be best suited for most uses. So I don’t know that I’d go through the trouble to add delay function if I didn’t have it.

Reactions: Welder57
I believe the only differences are the wiper switch in the column, the turn signal stalk, and the addition of the delay control box. Jeeps with intermittent wipers have a control box at the bottom of the dash that has two plugs into it. Jeeps without delay have the same setup, except no box and the plugs that normally would go to the box, are plugged into each other.

I believe if you change the wiper switch, add the proper turn signal lever, and plug in a delay box (sourced from eBay or similar) between your two plugs, you should be good to go.

All that said, honestly I don’t really use the delay function that much. I find “low” seems to be best suited for most uses. So I don’t know that I’d go through the trouble to add delay function if I didn’t have it.
Thanks for the reply. I'm redoing the 91 for my wife( it's hers, 4.0 with a 5 speed. ) she say if it's a Jeep it beter have a stick.
Anyway, putting Jeep air in it so figured I'd upgrade the wipers. Ya, she's been drinking it for 20 years + years with no air. I'll have to post some pics if I ever get done. Lot of snow here on the east coast. PS. doing this all in the driveway. 👍🇺🇸

Thanks for the reply. I'm redoing the 91 for my wife( it's hers, 4.0 with a 5 speed. ) she say if it's a Jeep it beter have a stick.
Anyway, putting Jeep air in it so figured I'd upgrade the wipers. Ya, she's been drinking it for 20 years + years with no air. I'll have to post some pics if I ever get done. Lot of snow here on the east coast. PS. doing this all in the driveway. 👍🇺🇸
Hah I hear ya on the AC. I’m in TX and so far have gone 8 years with no AC. It had an old Frankenstein kit that never worked properly. Didn’t even have a cutoff switch so the AC would just run forever and never cycle the compressor until you shut it off entirely. Gutted that junk, and will go with a factory plug-in kit eventually. That way it’s operated by the PCM and can bump the idle some. I found my old setup would really bog the hell out of the engine at idle. Mine already idles pretty low, turning on AC always made it even worse. Would be nice for the computer to control it.

Funny you mention snow, Texas is currently going through a very likely record breaking winter storm for this area. Below 20° for several days now, finally snowed and it is built up outside big time. Never seen anything like this before in this area.

Just watched the weather on the phone. Ya, y'all getting pretty beet beat up there. Hope you guys stay safe. I'm in Jersey ☹, got a decent amount of the white shit( got lucky the last couple of years). But it doesn't bother me to much. Plow guys are making money and so do I, welding them back together when they brake em.
I never dawned on me about the idle issue. I'll have to research the system I have to see if it works with the PMD. Thsnks👍🇺🇸

North of Houston here and without power for 7 hours. 13 was the low today and down to 6 tomorrow. We have the wood stove cooking along and I got the generator connected to the well. I might need to run a cord to the house for power. This whole part of the state is without power now due to the demand. They can't bring the generators on line until the grid supply/ demand equals out and they're saying it could be all day before they get going again. Wind turbine are all frozen and useless.

Last edited:
North of Houston here and without power for 7 hours. 13 was the low today and down to 6 tomorrow. We have the wood stove cooking along and I got the generator connected to the well. I might need to run a cord to the house for power. This whole part of the state is without power now due to the demand. They can't bring the generators on line until the grid supply/ demand equals out and they're saying it could be all day before they get going again. Wind turbine are all frozen and useless.
Wind turbines, solar panels, ya I'm all for alt. energy, except when they dont work, or want to get rid of oil, gas. Were got lucky this week, not getting that fringed air. I heat with a pellet stove, runs 24/7. Generator always on stand by. Hang in there, better days are a coming. 👍🇺🇸