VIN Location on a YJ

rgirardi

Hi, the situation is I have completely dissembled my YJ and replacing everything. The problem as I am putting it together, I can't find the vin tag that you can see by looking through the windshield. What part is it riveted to? I thought it was on the metal part of the dash but it is not. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ralph

It’s riveted to a plate and the plate is riveted to the frame. And then I think the windshield wiper motor bolts on on top of the plate, sandwiching the plate to the frame. So if you sent out the windshield frame then unfortunately it’s gone.

Hi, the situation is I have completely dissembled my YJ and replacing everything. The problem as I am putting it together, I can't find the vin tag that you can see by looking through the windshield. What part is it riveted to? I thought it was on the metal part of the dash but it is not. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ralph
89 RIGHT? FILL OUT YOUR SIGNATURE SO ALL READERS SEE WHAT CAR IT IS.
oops and 88 says your profile.

87 and 89 have same page for tags. same words I have both books at hand.

87/88/89 is not the same as newer,as other do not know.

the 89 FSM, chapter 0 or intro
shows all tags on the car, and the book is free to read.
1990 they changed the rules and the tag, USA cars bound by USA laws even for TAGS !!
eXport jeeps are NOT THEM same even in CAnada

THE 89 FSM IS NOT IN OUR STICKY
I HAVE IT HERE
334Mb LARGE PDF

CHAPTER 0 IS IT. READ IT, IT DOES NOT LIE. (THE BIG METAL TAG IS ON THE RADIATOR FRAME , THEN IN 1990 MOVED TO FIRE WALL. NEXT TO BOOSTER.

THE VIEWER DOES NOT WORK ON SO LARGE A PDF
DOWNLOAD IT AND VIEW WITH GOOD BROWSER ,LIKE FIREFOX IS.

pg,N4
A safety certification label is attached to all
Wrangler/YJ models. The label indicates that
the vehicle conforms to Federal motor vehicle
safety certification standards. The label is locat-
ed on the driver door pillar

page N5

VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION PLATE
The metal identification plate is attached to the
radiator support. T h e plate displays the VIN,
paint code, trim c o d e , fabrication sequence
number, and vehicle equipment code (e.g. 49-
State, Canada, California, high altitude).

There you good the real dead, the real yj 89 fsm.

Last edited:
It’s riveted to a plate and the plate is riveted to the frame. And then I think the windshield wiper motor bolts on on top of the plate, sandwiching the plate to the frame. So if you sent out the windshield frame then unfortunately it’s gone.
Thank you. The thing is after I disassembled the windshield frame I dont remember seeing it. I went over the windshield frame pretty closely because I was going to rebuild it, but it turns out it was to rotted.

Thank you. The thing is after I disassembled the windshield frame I dont remember seeing it. I went over the windshield frame pretty closely because I was going to rebuild it, but it turns out it was to rotted.
May have been removed by PO or maybe windshield frame was swapped on from another jeep.

whoo whoo, found the free manual 87 (pub march 86)
no have

87 words and I quote directly

The vehicle identification number (VIN) is locat-
ed on the left side of the instrument panel at the (not the to top, like new cars all have)
base of the windshield. The VIN chart explains
the code characters.

page 3
A safety certification label is attached to all
Wrangler/YJ models. The label indicates that
the vehicle conforms to Federal motor vehicle
safety certification standards. The label is locat-
ed on the driver door pillar.

page N5

he metal identification plate is attached to the
radiator support. T h e plate displays the VIN,
paint code, trim c o d e , fabrication sequence
number, and vehicle equipment code (e.g. 49-
State, Canada, California, high altitude)

google is my friend today.

there is the 100%free real manual.

same words 87 to 89

90 then changed.
if you really not know the real year, all hope is lost using real books.
nor the true country first sold to. (vin prefix)

good luck working with no title,. if true.

read the 87/88 manual
i tells you clear as day where they are that year.

87 is here (same as 88) read then find it. if all are lost there are hidden VIN'S all over the body and frame. one is above tank hiding on a cross bar.
the hidden locations are federal secret to catch car bombers. (if you google that other web sites show where others found them>
lost the title did you? its there, so is reg tags.

door jam vin is 1969 law here. first year there and moved top of dash in 1990? i think.
the hidden vin's started in year 1968
all covered by USA CFR laws. (do not read them or go blind)

quote classic cars web site. so yes lots more are there.(and a secret to foil bad guys and has)

"VINs have been stamped into frames of vehicles for many years, however the process became more uniform starting approximately during the 1968 model year. The VIN was stamped into various metal objects on the vehicle, including the frame, the body, the engine, transmission and other places. The VIN on the frame or the body became known as the Hidden VIN, the Confidential VIN or the Federal VIN. This number is usually not a full, complete VIN but a derivative thereof. The sequential production number of the hidden VIN should match the sequential production number (the last five or six digits) of the Public VIN and if the vehicle was produced after August 31, 1969, the FMVSS certification sticker. The VIN on the engine and transmission would have also been a derivative of the VIN and it too should match the Public VIN provided that the engine and/or transmission is original."

ok the best ever nose bleed doc, on topic
but you never once said why the hunt, to be street legal or what?

if they do not match the DOT/ DVM will not be happy.
I helped work buddy over come this, car moved to diffr. state.
they put the car in a tent
and 2 police officers went in and found all VIN'S, (as in ALL public and secret)
1hr later they popped back out. ( with ugly looks):devilish:
and 2 fenders had wrong vin's.(secret),. one trick is buy china clone fenders as have n o vin, to contradict.
so he had to remove them and buy new ones, as the receipts for the others were lost.(his dad lost them a car gift to son)
MAX PAIN.
there you go.
in most cases one officer there, you only need to make him/her happy, say what can I do.? now?
also age of car can matter to some states.