Undercoating

9nick0

The 1990 wrangler I purchased looks good underneath and I was hoping to keep it that way. What is everyones preferred undercoating product and is this something that should be done themselves or do you recommend a service or price range to have it done.

This outta get lots of information for you. POR 15 paint or undercoating Id guess, but the guys here know better than I with some of the incredible and meticulous resto's they have done. . At whatever rate be aware (s) shop services that goober the crap on 1/4 thick and leave openings,pinholes, and holidays for water to enter hiding and providing a nice wet place for rust to start.

Unfortunately I have no personal experience on this one. My factory undercoating is still there and in good shape and in Texas, will probably stay that way for eternity....

In anticipation of moving to Pennsylvania, my buddy with an LJ pulled his trans to change the clutch and do some other stuff down there and while he had it out, used 3M Pro Undercoat. He is happy with the results. He cleaned the underside and sprayed it right out of the can onto the underside of his rig himself. Plan on probably 5 cans to cover everything, depending on how in detail you go and how thick you lay it on. I believe he used 6 cans on the LJ so maybe 4-5 to do the same coverage on the smaller short wheelbase YJ.

1627867845561.png

Reactions: 9nick0
I went the cheap route and bough a bunch of Rust-Oleum undercoating spray cans at Walmart for $5 each.

I did use POR-15 to paint and engine block once and it is expensive and is brittle after it dries. Some say it can crack from the sheet metal twisting under normal use but I don't know.

Unfortunately I have no personal experience on this one. My factory undercoating is still there and in good shape and in Texas, will probably stay that way for eternity....

In anticipation of moving to Pennsylvania, my buddy with an LJ pulled his trans to change the clutch and do some other stuff down there and while he had it out, used 3M Pro Undercoat. He is happy with the results. He cleaned the underside and sprayed it right out of the can onto the underside of his rig himself. Plan on probably 5 cans to cover everything, depending on how in detail you go and how thick you lay it on. I believe he used 6 cans on the LJ so maybe 4-5 to do the same coverage on the smaller short wheelbase YJ.

View attachment 118016
That looks pretty good.

I went the cheap route and bough a bunch of Rust-Oleum undercoating spray cans at Walmart for $5 each.

I did use POR-15 to paint and engine block once and it is expensive and is brittle after it dries. Some say it can crack from the sheet metal twisting under normal use but I don't know.
I've heard about POR-15 a few times. I'll have to look into it. The last one I did I used the Rust-Oleum from Walmart route and it appears to protect fine would just like to do it right one time on this one. So I might look into the POR-15 a little more.