Transfer Case Rear Seal Install

Wschromm

Hey all, having trouble getting the transfer case rear output seal installed. I removed my old seal due to a leak and got a replacement based on orielly’s website (National Oil Seal PN 710046).

My problem is I can’t get the seal started in to the flange as it seems slightly oversized. I have some familiarity with these seals and that they shouldn’t be a slip fit but even with my a 2-1/4 pipe flange I can’t lightly hammer in the seal.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hey all, having trouble getting the transfer case rear output seal installed. I removed my old seal due to a leak and got a replacement based on orielly’s website (National Oil Seal PN 710046).

My problem is I can’t get the seal started in to the flange as it seems slightly oversized. I have some familiarity with these seals and that they shouldn’t be a slip fit but even with my a 2-1/4 pipe flange I can’t lightly hammer in the seal.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Try freezing the seal to shrink it a little, might get you just enough.
Or heating the tail housing with a heat gun,

Last edited:
No problem here. I used a short PVC pipe to help evenly tap the seal into place.

I used the same Part#.

tc5.JPG

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Try freezing the seal to shrink it a little, might get you just enough.
Or heating the tail housing with a heat gun,
The seal i get from Autozone (#710046) is 62mm in diameter. The old seal measures 60mm as does the housing.
Is freezing this seal really going to make up this difference or is this just a wrong seal? Autodone ordered ones from two different manufacturers for me (same part #) and they both came in this same 62mm size. NP231 J case.

The seal i get from Autozone (#710046) is 62mm in diameter. The old seal measures 60mm as does the housing.
Is freezing this seal really going to make up this difference or is this just a wrong seal? Autodone ordered ones from two different manufacturers for me (same part #) and they both came in this same 62mm size. NP231 J case.
I don't recall it being a 2mm difference, that's a big difference. I could start the seal and needed to lightly tap it into place at room temperature. How well does it fit into over the shaft it's sealing?

I did a quick search on Rockauto. That part number is listed as the FRONT output seal, which makes sense given the image above showing the pvc tool driving it into the front output location. It also specs the bore as being 2.447" which is just a tad over 62mm.

The seal they list for the REAR output is P/N 4370N (Timken). It specs the bore as being 2.376 which is just a tad over 60mm.

These were found using a 93 Wrangler for the vehicle selection.

oops wrong seal so much for amazoned. (classic used sold as new, or wrong seal in the right box or worse) gee Napa has it.
buy Timken.
the online catalog works at Timken, never a need to guess, just look.
and for sure rockauto. shows them all (prime)
glad you didnt split the case pounding it to death. sure am.