Transfer case leak

Bryan

95 YJ 4.0L manual I developed a 4 or 5 in. diameter leak (on the driveway) that appears to be coming from the transfer case. I have not had any leaks in this area before. The only thing I can think of is a couple of weeks ago I had a heavy snow commute down the canyon to work. I used 4WD high to get to work that day. My average speed 35 - 45 MPH. The weather was clear, so on my commuter home that evening I took the freeway to the canyon. I forgot to take it out of 4WD for that 4 or 6 mile stretch of the freeway. I probably hit speeds 60 - 70 MPH.

Do you think I developed my leak from that dumb mistake? Thanks - Bryan

I doubt that was the cause. I would check the level and top off if its low. Id take a good look and see where its coming from. I suppose it may have been overfilled and it puked out the vent line but its worth finding out.

I doubt that was the cause. I would check the level and top off if its low. Id take a good look and see where its coming from. I suppose it may have been overfilled and it puked out the vent line but its worth finding out.
Thanks, that makes sense. hopefully that's the case. I'll top things off and take a closer look. The more I think of it, I've had the Jeep about a year and the last couple of weeks was the first time I've actually used the 4WD. So, the leak (or over fill) appears to be related to use. Thanks again!

Think you might be on to something....OEM seal gone brittle from lack of circulation coupled with the cold, wet, salt, dirt and high RPMS on the front shaft would IMHO lead to seal failure. Pull the fill plug and dip a finger to see if the fluid matches whats leaking.
I wouldn't worry over it unless you need 4WD for an extended time........

The two driveshaft seals are inexpensive and fairly easy to change. Pry out the old and tap in the new. I used a short piece of PVC pipe with the bell mouth to evenly tap it in.

You'll have to pull the TC to get to the internal seal if that's leaking.

1641827663812.png

1641827694055.png

1641827732955.png

1641827879460.png

Wow, thanks for all the good input on this. As I look closer at the leak (and match what's on the ground) it appears to be coming from the front TC seal. It continues to leak whether I use the 4WD or not. Its not a small drip, so I need to gear up to replace the seal(s). Based on your input, advice and tips, it doesn't look like too bad of job. Thanks again

Reactions: Flyer58
Wow, thanks for all the good input on this. As I look closer at the leak (and match what's on the ground) it appears to be coming from the front TC seal. It continues to leak whether I use the 4WD or not. Its not a small drip, so I need to gear up to replace the seal(s). Based on your input, advice and tips, it doesn't look like too bad of job. Thanks again
I can't exactly recall but I believe there's a tiny weep hole at the rear of the transmission which drains the space between the front input seal of the TC and the rear output seal of the transmission. Mine was plugged with sediment and you might be able to check it with a small wire too see if it's clear.

I circled the space on the transmission end showing where any leaking fluid will drain to.

1641922211409.png

The new process transfer cases are notorious for having the internal pump rub holes in the rear case also.
the one little steel clip that is supposed to stop this often fails and breaks off. There’s an after market steel shim
that you can install that will stop it, if this is the case.

The new process transfer cases are notorious for having the internal pump rub holes in the rear case also.
the one little steel clip that is supposed to stop this often fails and breaks off. There’s an after market steel shim
Never heard of that one on the Jeep T cases. If it was a Silverado like our POS 2000, Id say add it to the list of crap that has failed on our "shit box edition" pick um up.

Reactions: ytradio
Never ever heard of a Jeep tcase doing that. The pump is plastic and slides into a slot and just sits there. Might be thinking of a different design by new process.