Thermostat housing leak

mathewaz

Any one have a hard time sealing their thermostat housing? The gasket that came with the new housing wouldn't seal so I loaded it with rtv. It held for a few days then developed a slow leak. Not really sure what I need to do now. Im thinking of getting a thicker cork gasket and then putting a bunch of rtv on either side. What do you guys think?

My jeeps a 91 i6 4.0 by the way

Any one have a hard time sealing their thermostat housing? The gasket that came with the new housing wouldn't seal so I loaded it with rtv. It held for a few days then developed a slow leak. Not really sure what I need to do now. Im thinking of getting a thicker cork gasket and then putting a bunch of rtv on either side. What do you guys think?

My jeeps a 91 i6 4.0 by the way
I have never once needed any RTV on my YJ cooling system. All the factory ever did was use paper gaskets, clean surfaces, and proper bolt torque. that is the same theory I use and it works. I use Mopar gaskets. Be very careful that the thermostat doesn't slip out of the recess in the cylinder head. If it does, it will get clamped down between the housing the the cylinder head and that will be impossible to seal. Get the surfaces fully clean before trying to mate anything together.

I can't recall which bolt it is but one needs thread sealer because it extends into the water jacket of the 2.5L. The 4.0 may be the same.

I can't recall which bolt it is but one needs thread sealer because it extends into the water jacket of the 2.5L. The 4.0 may be the same.
I know the front cylinder head bolt needs that on both engines but I’ve never heard of that for either 2.5 or 4.0 thermostats. The 4.0 certainly doesn’t need that, mine don’t protrude into the water jacket.

Just checked the FSM and it does not call that out for either engine...it has a blanket install guide for both engines since they use the same ‘stat, housing and bolts.

Reactions: Flyer58
I have never once needed any RTV on my YJ cooling system. All the factory ever did was use paper gaskets, clean surfaces, and proper bolt torque. that is the same theory I use and it works. I use Mopar gaskets. Be very careful that the thermostat doesn't slip out of the recess in the cylinder head. If it does, it will get clamped down between the housing the the cylinder head and that will be impossible to seal. Get the surfaces fully clean before trying to mate anything together.
I have the same complaint (issue) with the vertically mounted thermostat slipping out of its cylinder head recess while trying to assemble the gasket/cap. Not the best design.

I have the same complaint (issue) with the vertically mounted thermostat slipping out of its cylinder head recess while trying to assemble the gasket/cap. Not the best design.
Kind of a pain for sure, although it typically doesn’t give me too much grief. It can be more of a pain with a tummy tuck and no motor mount lift since that makes the front face of the engine more vertical. But overall I don’t have too much grief. Could be better though.

I agree with machoheadgames...the standard gasket should work as is without the RTV. Check the thermostat orientation...and make sure that you don't keep tightening to stop the leak, the thermostat housing is made of pot metal and you'll crack a flange if the thermostat is not seated properly

Reactions: machoheadgames
What th'?!? I just replied to post from May...hopefully you've figured it out, my apologies to all...(sleep tight America, your Air Force is wide awake!!!)

Right you are Brother...looks like I picked May up from his 'Joined' date...