TF 999 transmission won’t mount back up with engine

Ryan

I recently had a transmission blow up on me, I bought a new (used) one. Half way through install I noticed that the transmission won’t slide all the way onto the torque converter. It has around 2-3 inches left to slide but it won’t move forward into the torque converter. The torque converter was never taken off the motor. This is my first time changing a transmission. If anyone has any thoughts I’d love to hear them.

I have always put the torque converter on the transmission then installed. This way it seems easier, the converter probably needs to rotate a little to line up. If you are able to manually rotate the engine some, that may work for you with the converter attached to the flex plate but I don’t think you would be able to do that without help from another person.

A breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley is what I would try if I was going to leave the converter attached to the flex plate.

I would also take the torque converter off of the engine and put it onto the trans and install that way. Bolt up trans to engine, spin the crankshaft pulley so you can access each TC to flexplate bolt, and call it good.

Just to make sure, the new transmission came from the same year or close, right? 94-95 are locking torque converters, 87-93 are not. Just trying to make sure the new trans you got is compatible with your old torque converter.

Thanks for the help I just hear the same thing just a little while ago. I had my dad helping me, he would spin the flywheel witch turns the torque converter but it didn’t want to still into place so I am going to take the torque converter off and do it that way. How do I know the spacing for the torque converter for when it goes back in?

You should be able to just push it up to the flex plate and start putting the bolts back in one at a time. There should be enough splines engaged between the transmission and converter.

The torque converter holes and flexplate holes are offset so that they can only bolt together one way, so make sure you get those oriented in the same direction before you throw the trans up there and start bolting stuff down.

Thanks for all the help, before I bolt it all back together I have to put the torque converter on the transmission, for what ever reason it doesn’t want the two pins to go into place. I’ve been trying for the last hour to set the toque converter into the new transmission and the splines all line up I just can’t get the pins in the transmission to live up with the groves on the torque converter.

Thanks for all the help, before I bolt it all back together I have to put the torque converter on the transmission, for what ever reason it doesn’t want the two pins to go into place. I’ve been trying for the last hour to set the toque converter into the new transmission and the splines all line up I just can’t get the pins in the transmission to live up with the groves on the torque converter.
I asked if you made sure the years are right. Are they?

It’s a 93 motor and torque converter, and the transmission is from 92.
Can you compare the input shafts on both transmissions and make sure they’re the same? There were a lot of different torque converters over the years. Not sure of the differences.