Tailgate damage; recommendations please

TRevs

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
After I bought the YJ, I saw the tailgate was damaged. Looked like it had been backed into something, pushing the spare tire carrier and denting the tailgate in.

There were no tire snubbers, so the hinges have loosened a bit. I’ve adjusted the hinges and striker but if the spare is mounted it still rattles
IMG_0700.jpeg
IMG_0701.jpeg

I’m considering my options:

Replace tailgate and hinges with aftermarket, e.g. Crown, repaint.

Replace tailgate with OEM from junkyard, repaint.

Keep the current tailgate, ditch the spare tire and carrier since it can’t handle the weight, maybe find a valance or armor to cover the damage.

Switch to a drop-down CJ-Style gate.

Others?? I have a set of TJ hinges but it seems to difficult to make them fit.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably opt for the CJ drop down style. I miss it and used it extensively for beach tailgating when I had my CJ's. Great spot to fillet fish at the beach as well!

I put a Dirtworx spare/can carrier bumper on my 91. Its great, no rattles and easy to open. A CJ style gate would be a perfect addition for setting things on the gate or a camp stove.

I’m considering my options:

Replace tailgate and hinges with aftermarket, e.g. Crown, repaint.

Replace tailgate with OEM from junkyard, repaint.

Keep the current tailgate, ditch the spare tire and carrier since it can’t handle the weight, maybe find a valance or armor to cover the damage.

Switch to a drop-down CJ-Style gate.

Others?? I have a set of TJ hinges but it seems to difficult to make them fit.
I would switch to a drop down tailgate. Right now, I am in process of building a set of Aluminum Billet hinges for the original YJ tailgate. I will also want to relocate the fuel filler tone to the side ( TJ Style) so I can get rid of the standard tail lights and go with flush mount taillights.. I have a nice set of LED taillights but I will have to make my self a set of cans ( housings) for them.

Update:

I did some rudimentary paintless dent repair on the tailgate itself, and it should look ok when covered up by the spare tire.

I just installed black Kentrol stainless hinges; my upper stock hinge was quite loose.

I adjusted the hinges so the tailgate was centered and the latch was hitting the striker straight on… then when the spare tire was loaded the gate sagged down a half inch.

Is there a method to adjusting the hinges? Or is just a trial-and-error doom loop? I have to remove the spare to get to the hinge bolts, so I can see this becoming a real pain.

Update:

I did some rudimentary paintless dent repair on the tailgate itself, and it should look ok when covered up by the spare tire.

I just installed black Kentrol stainless hinges; my upper stock hinge was quite loose.

I adjusted the hinges so the tailgate was centered and the latch was hitting the striker straight on… then when the spare tire was loaded the gate sagged down a half inch.

Is there a method to adjusting the hinges? Or is just a trial-and-error doom loop? I have to remove the spare to get to the hinge bolts, so I can see this becoming a real pain.
Try lifting up on the spare as you close the tailgate.