Stumped by Windshield wash motor electrical

TRevs

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm trying to solve another minor electrical issue which has me stumped (doesn't take much). The windshield wash spray motor has not worked since I got the Jeep. I'm confused because I'm reading 11+ volts to the connector contacts when the switch on the stalk is depressed, but it won't run the motor. I bench tested the motor with a power supply and it ran (11V, 1.0 amp.) I ordered a new motor in case that was the problem and got the same result. I've looked at the wiring diagram and can't understand how a functional motor that should be getting ~12V isn't running.

The odd part is that when I depress the switch for the sprayer, and no motor is connected, the wipers run. If I have a motor connected and push the switch, neither the wipers nor the motor run. Could that mean the switch is putting out insufficient amperage to run both motors? This has intermittent wipers and on the wiring diagram everything from the stalk goes through the intermittent wiper module, so maybe there's a short in there?

Any chance you have two pumps, one for hardtop and one for windshield and got the hoses mixed up? Has happened to me before.

The part about the wiper working when the motor isn’t hooked up and nit working when it is hooked up is odd for sure though.

There are two pumps; neither run. I know which is front and rear based on the wire colors. The tubing could be switched but I don’t think that matters at this point since neither pump energizes.

I suspect the Intermittent module, since everything else in the wiring diagram works, and that module is just a blank box on the diagram.

I may have to look into bypassing it for diagnostic purposes and maybe converting to non-intermittent wipers, but that seems like a lot of work for a small function.