Should I buy this YJ?

Acejh85

Hi, i’m looking to get my first YJ, i’m 17, mechanically inclined. I’ve owned 2 vehicles so far. Attached are photos of the jeep i’m looking to trade my truck for. I’m not scared of a project. However my other car is more “sporty” and building it costs a bit of money. Being 17 i’m not looking to dump thousands into it right away. I’m okay putting thousands into it over the course of a few months. Where i live i have snow and now need a snow vehicle. The YJ caught my eye. Thanks in advance🤙

IMG_0978.jpeg

IMG_0979.jpeg

IMG_0980.jpeg

IMG_0981.jpeg

IMG_0982.jpeg

IMG_0983.jpeg

Hi, i’m looking to get my first YJ, i’m 17, mechanically inclined. I’ve owned 2 vehicles so far. Attached are photos of the jeep i’m looking to trade my truck for. I’m not scared of a project. However my other car is more “sporty” and building it costs a bit of money. Being 17 i’m not looking to dump thousands into it right away. I’m okay putting thousands into it over the course of a few months. Where i live i have snow and now need a snow vehicle. The YJ caught my eye. Thanks in advance🤙

View attachment 122125

View attachment 122126

View attachment 122127

View attachment 122128

View attachment 122129

View attachment 122130
I also have developed a list of questions to ask the seller:
Frame straight?

How hard has it been ridden off road/ on trials?

Says Clean title?

Rust damage?

Runs good?

Shifts good?

How old is the suspension?

4 or 6 Cylinder?

Any knocking, pinging, squeaking?

Leaking any fluids?

Will it pass smog?

Bring quarter for tires, check date check bushings, hoses, and fluids. Feel tread of tires.

Any performance mods?

Does it have a cad delete (two piece drive shaft)

Any cracking on the dash?

Any cracks on the windshield?

4wd works?

Have A/C?

Heater works?

Any maitnence coming up?

Any maitnence recently done?

Any wiring issues?

Fuel injected?

Abs?

Slip yolk eliminator?

If that blue Toyota is your current ride Id keep it and forget the jeep. If not #1 you'll hate lift with the wide wheels and no flares throwing snow and crap everywhere, #2 it looks beat to shit, #3 its to high,#4 short top heavy vehicles suck in the snow, ask how I know. But for say...$2500 you could have some fun with it. You asked.

Reactions: Sunsport
If that blue Toyota is your current ride Id keep it and forget the jeep. If not #1 you'll hate lift with the wide wheels and no flares throwing snow and crap everywhere, #2 it looks beat to shit, #3 its to high,#4 short top heavy vehicles suck in the snow, ask how I know. But for say...$2500 you could have some fun with it. You asked.
I did ask 😂, he wants 4500 my yota is a 2wd auto salvage title. But i’ve done so much to it. I was talking to my dad and he was saying it would be easier and better to keep and convert the truck to 4wd. Start with IS in the front and eventually swap to solid axle and a yota diesel.

I would personally pass on that one, but that's after owning one and knowing exactly what I would want to do to one if I bought one. that one listed I would spend countless time and money undoing all the crap the POs did. So I would pass, but if you really want a project then go for it. I would want to change pretty much everything there.

If budget is an issue consider just a top for the thing will run a bunch of money. There is really no such thing as a cheap jeep or vehicle for that matter. Especially if its your only ride. Im notorious for seeing the "diamond in the rough" and getting a chrome plated turd. My latest is my buddies 96 ZJ I picked up for cheap. Im already into it in parts for what I paid for it. "open top" jeeps are way overpriced IMO, same as Cruisers. If you must have one well....what can one say. Im no better in that dept. The ZJ is the last go around for me. I'll hang on to my F250 4x4 and find a nice Taco 4x4 for better MPG. Try and find a clean 3rd gen taco or 4runner with a 3.4. You'd be money ahead for sure.

I have a 1994 and it is fun but not my daily. I have a first gen Tacoma double cab as a daily. Jeep means just empty every pocket. But I love mine.

I have a 1994 and it is fun but not my daily. I have a first gen Tacoma double cab as a daily. Jeep means just empty every pocket. But I love mine.
BOAT= Break-Out-Another-Thousand. And I have both, no wonder I have no money.

I stay away from anything with diamond plate bolted to it. Unless I can get a good deal for it. Diamond Plate=Almost Guaranteed Rust issues. People bolt that layered shit on, then moisture and junk get caught between it and the original body and rust it out like crazy. Or people bolt it on to hide rust.

I don't think converting the Blue Toyota to 4wd will be as easy as your dad thinks it will be.....or as cheap. Jeep XJs are some of the easiest to convert to 4wd and you still need, Transmission, T-case, driveshafts and a front axle to match the gearing in your rear axle unless you are going to be spending another 1000 dollar to regear the rear axle to match the front. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a whole other XJ that's totaled to swap the drivetrain out of. Not to mention the slew of other small parts you don't think of that you'll need.

Buy some chains/cables and throw some weight in the bed of that Toyota and you'll be better off than in that high shortwheel base YJ. A stock YJ would make a better snow vehicle than that thing.

If you trade your truck for that YJ the owner of the YJ is coming out on top for sure.

You got to ask yourself.. what's your trucks worth, true value, not personal value.

Likewise, I'd be tearing that down to ground zero.. currently not my liking. Plus, many of times guys bolt that crap diamond plate over rust, so beware of that. You'd want to ask seller to show you those areas behind for sure.

Also, gotta ask yourself, what's your price range. I picked up a 93 with zero rust and a straight body out of Atlanta GA for $5k. I did all my work and pumped another $6k to get it to my bad ass beach cruiser.. not a mudder. I have a build thread on it too.

Reactions: DOWNS