Shackle reversal fans

ytradio

YJ Enthusiast
Just wondering how many shackle reversal fans there are. I have been up in the air about this. My primary reason for doing it would be for a better approach clearance. But have been worried about having the shackle under the Jeep. Yes, less likely to hang up on things but when it did I can see it putting me in a worse situation. I have decided to save my money and stay with the stock location. This way, if I do have a problem contacting the ground, it should be easier to get out of trouble. Any thoughts?

I considered shackle reversal for a while, a long time ago. The problem for me was it seemed like it was going to be a decent amount of work and it would definitely have tradeoffs. Such as needing a longer driveshaft, nosediving on braking, and it might upset my ride height making the front end taller and require me to do something out back to even it out to get me back to level or some rake, since I don't tolerate any squat. There were no good bolt on options and the weld on fabrication type options requiring making permanent frame changes that I didn't want to make.

The only reason I really wanted it to begin with was for road ride quality, since they claim the bumps are less jarring. Personally I think it's mostly marketing hype. It might make a really crappy set of springs ride better, but honestly, with good springs like what OME sells, bumps with current shackle setup are not jarring at all, so I don't think you need to have shackle reversal to fix that problem, just better suspension components in general. As for offroading I could see both setups having pros and cons.

I considered shackle reversal for a while, a long time ago. The problem for me was it seemed like it was going to be a decent amount of work and it would definitely have tradeoffs. Such as needing a longer driveshaft, nosediving on braking, and it might upset my ride height making the front end taller and require me to do something out back to even it out to get me back to level or some rake, since I don't tolerate any squat. There were no good bolt on options and the weld on fabrication type options requiring making permanent frame changes that I didn't want to make.

The only reason I really wanted it to begin with was for road ride quality, since they claim the bumps are less jarring. Personally I think it's mostly marketing hype. It might make a really crappy set of springs ride better, but honestly, with good springs like what OME sells, bumps with current shackle setup are not jarring at all, so I don't think you need to have shackle reversal to fix that problem, just better suspension components in general. As for offroading I could see both setups having pros and cons.
I agree. I also heard all the pros and cons you mentioned, and the only one that I was interested in was the extra clearance at the front. But like you I have decided against it for now.