Seat repairs

Whiplash2130

YJ Enthusiast
My drivers seat back squeaks real bad. Has anyone done their own repairs? Tips? Worth doing myself or take it to an upholstery shop?

It could be a pain to take the covers off the seat and visually inspect the seat back for broken or worn parts.

The only way I would even venture under a seat cover is if I knew something was broken. It could be dead simple to take a factory seat cover off, but I know its a skill and it wouldnt be something I would want to fool with personally. Not to mention, I believe you need a few special tools to do the job correctly.

Have you visually inspected the underside of the seat to see if it may be something that can be repaired without taking the cover off?

Not yet, wanted some input before tackling the job. I have to figure the noise is in the seat back down at the lower joint somewhere. The seat almost seems to lean somewhat outboard too.

Update: I ordered two Bestop Trailmax II seats from Morris 4x4 and was just notified shipping date has been pushed back to 11/24/20. What BS! They blame COVID. Also BS! Think I’ll start looking elsewhere.

Update: I ordered two Bestop Trailmax II seats from Morris 4x4 and was just notified shipping date has been pushed back to 11/24/20. What BS! They blame COVID. Also BS! Think I’ll start looking elsewhere.
If you're a tall feller then good luck if you carry through with them in general. They sit a few inches higher than stock, as do many other seat options on the market. I personally can't tolerate anything taller than stock and I'm only 5'11. Years and years later I still haven't found decent seat options that are worth doing that don't ruin the seat height. Reupholstering is probably the best bet overall, if you can find a shop to do it for a reasonable price.

When I did my rebuild, I bought new Besttop seat frames/risers and new seats. Very easy to install and now ultra comfortable. I’ve found that the stock seats were basically the bear minimum for comfort. I buy most of my parts through Quadratec and their shipping is pretty quick. Might be a good option instead of waiting months to receive your new parts.

My frames and foam are ok but the original stitching is ripping on the driver's seat. Has anyone had luck with just seat covers? Seems like all ratings are poor to middle.

Update: When I was speaking to Morris 4x4 support whit the intention to cancel the order due to them changing the delivery date out to 11/24 I learned two things. One: the 11/24 date was completely inaccurate- they informed me that the seats had already been shipped with an expected delivery date of 10/15. Two: Both seats shipped were drivers side seats. They then informed me that you could not choose an option for the passenger side seat on their web site. I asked them to contact Bestop and get it straightened out so when I received the wrong item I could return it for a correct passenger side. They said I could only start that process once I received the wrong part! More B.S.! Then this morning I got a request for my vehicle make, model, etc. with no other information. Not sure what is happening.

FedEx delivered 2 new Bestop Trailmaster II seats yesterday. I have assembled one and determined that it can be used on either the driver or passenger side. The instructions say to leave the mounts in the vehicle and to remove the seats from the mounts. No way I was going to do it that way! I removed the whole seat mounts and all from the drivers side. Will continue today.