Question

9nick0

I apologize in advance if this is a no brainer question but if I go with 15" or 17" rims how does that affect the ride of the jeep? I am assuming the 33" tires are going to be the same height off the ground regardless right? If so would you rather have the more or less of the tire for a better ride?

For better ride, 15’s usually. Tires built for 15’s are almost always load range C. Most tires for 17’s in the larger sizes are load range E which is more for heavy trucks like 2500s. Not all E tires ride bad, but most do.

however, on 17’s, if you keep it to smaller 265 profile tires, many of them have passenger rating options, which can carry more load than a load c, but have slightly weaker/thinner sidewalls so they ride better. For someone not going off-road it’s a solid option. So for example, a 265/70R17, is 31.6 x 10.50. You can get plenty of tires in that size as an SL (standard load/passenger) rating which will ride well.

The bigger issue for me is finding 17” rims that look decent to me on a YJ. Most of them look kind of large. 17’s are not a bad way to go though, but on a street rig I would definitely try to use SL tires for good ride quality if going to use 17’s.

For better ride, 15’s usually. Tires built for 15’s are almost always load range C. Most tires for 17’s in the larger sizes are load range E which is more for heavy trucks like 2500s. Not all E tires ride bad, but most do.

however, on 17’s, if you keep it to smaller 265 profile tires, many of them have passenger rating options, which can carry more load than a load c, but have slightly weaker/thinner sidewalls so they ride better. For someone not going off-road it’s a solid option. So for example, a 265/70R17, is 31.6 x 10.50. You can get plenty of tires in that size as an SL (standard load/passenger) rating which will ride well.

The bigger issue for me is finding 17” rims that look decent to me on a YJ. Most of them look kind of large. 17’s are not a bad way to go though, but on a street rig I would definitely try to use SL tires for good ride quality if going to use 17’s.
Incredibly informative. Thanks again. I am going for kinda a safari look. My jeep is a bright blue islander and I want to paint the top white and get white basic steel rims and I think it will look better with a bigger rim on the vehicle for that. Something similar to this but painted white to contrast with the bright blue. So I am actually thinking about going with a little less wider tire like 9.5 or even 9. Can't find the rims yet. Cokertire.com has some tires I just gotta figure out whats going to look best. https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styles/military-and-truck.html

CN015_021JPtrsarhum0b2cuccshvnrbg0jo4-620x413.jpg

Incredibly informative. Thanks again. I am going for kinda a safari look. My jeep is a bright blue islander and I want to paint the top white and get white basic steel rims and I think it will look better with a bigger rim on the vehicle for that. Something similar to this but painted white to contrast with the bright blue.

View attachment 118152
Well, that setup could work fine. The 265/70R17 tire size would be a good one especially since you're doing a 2.5" lift and say you want to keep it on 31-32s. That ends up perfect since 265/70 is a 31.6" tire and looks great.

Here is that tire size on my truck, I like it a lot. Not sure what wheels you could get that are white and 17", but you can probably find something. I'd stick to a 17x8 if I could.

IMG_5398.jpeg

Reactions: 9nick0
Well, that setup could work fine. The 265/70R17 tire size would be a good one especially since you're doing a 2.5" lift and say you want to keep it on 31-32s. That ends up perfect since 265/70 is a 31.6" tire and looks great.

Here is that tire size on my truck, I like it a lot. Not sure what wheels you could get that are white and 17", but you can probably find something. I'd stick to a 17x8 if I could.

View attachment 118153
Now I just gotta find a tire that matches that description on Coker Tires that will still ride good and be affordable ($250 or less per tire). Checking now. Do I want a 235 size tire since I am going for a less wide tire? I'd still like this to be 31 and a half inches for the tires how do I do the math on that one? I am really trying to find a skinnier (9-9.5") tire that is taller something similar in style and appearance to this.

Screenshot (112).png

A tire calculator will save some time.

Tire sizes are (Width of tire in mm) / Aspect Ratio / Rim size

Aspect Ratio will give you the tire sidewall width based on the width of the tire. Multiply the Aspect Ratio with the tire width and you will have the sidewall width in mm. Convert sidewall width from mm to inches, multiply by 2, and then add to your rim size.

Last edited:
So for a 235 / 80 R17

235mm X .80 = 188mm

188mm to inches = 7.40in

7.4in X 2 = 14.8in

14. in + 17in = 31.8in or Roughly a 32in tire.

So find a width you want and play around with the Aspect Ratio to find a tire size you like for it.

So for a 235 / 80 R17

235mm X .80 = 188mm

188mm to inches = 7.40in

7.4in X 2 = 14.8in

14. in + 17in = 31.8in or Roughly a 32in tire.

So find a width you want and play around with the Aspect Ratio to find a tire size you like for it.
I'm going to do a 24575r17 to get to 31.5 inches. Now to find a nice aggressive style with a decent ride. Or 235/80/r17 to get the width to be a little narrower.

I am not sure how much more the tire will stick out. I can measure mine and then measure at the two widths listed above to give you an idea of how far the tire sticks out before making a commitment to a size.

The only thing I do not know is the old school rim sizes on the one showed above. I figure it is a 16 inch rim, but I have no idea what the 600 means, what it is measuring, and how to convert it.

235/80R17 would work as Doop said, but every single tire sold in that size at discount tire is Load Range E. so I'd skip it, as most of them will be harsh.

Everything in 245/74R17 is the same way.

255/75R17 is a 32" tire and all of them at Discount are SL or Load C. I would choose that size. It will be a bit narrower, at 10".

Try to get a 17x7.5 if you can to help the narrow look, although most 17's are 8-9" wide.

Reactions: 9nick0
Here is what I have in mind so far.

Honestly I am leaning towards the Ironman All Country M/T tires for their look and affordability. I know I will lose some road comfort but unless somebody can convince me there is a tire that looks similar and rides significantly better for the price I will probably order these in a few. I'd really prefer an aggressive all terrain.

1629127434512.png

Last edited:
235/80R17 would work as Doop said, but every single tire sold in that size at discount tire is Load Range E. so I'd skip it, as most of them will be harsh.

Everything in 245/74R17 is the same way.

255/75R17 is a 32" tire and all of them at Discount are SL or Load C. I would choose that size. It will be a bit narrower, at 10".

Try to get a 17x7.5 if you can to help the narrow look, although most 17's are 8-9" wide.
That's why I need the 23580R17, anything higher on that first number for width is going to be over 9" wide. And I want 9" wide for sure.

I can notice it on most all vehicles but you have to be there for the before and after to really get it. I run C1 31's on my YJ and I borrowed a buddy's E1 33's for a week, there was a quite noticeable difference. It's about the same as airing your current tires too high. Most tires for 15's are C2 or C1 range so on a Jeep, usually you're good as long as you stay 15's.

On my truck, I first went with Falken wildpeak 265/70R17 (SL), and they were quite heavy and very stiff still even for a passenger load. I don't even want to think about the E version they sell. I switched to the grabber ATX 265/70R17 after a month and it was lighter and rode much better. So a lot of it depends on the tire. I would expect any E MT to be pretty rough. Some of the all terrains might be ok. The Toyos he listed might be decent, they are a lighter AT so even in E load, they may be all right.

And for reference, Load C2 is the lightest LT range. C1 is stiffer than C2, and is equivalent to D2. D2 is softer than D1. D1 is equal to E2 in ride, and E1 is the stiffest.

The only reason for having different letters but the same ride/load quality, is the thicker sidewall. So an E2 and a D1 usually ride about the same and have the same max carrying capacity, but the E2 has a thicker sidewall, so it's probably the better choice. There are not a lot of D range tires though, so usually I try to just choose something from the C range if I can, to avoid E's in general.

All the standard tire sizes are LT, like 31, 33, etc. P-Metric (SL) tires are all metric, but metric can also have the same standard LT sizes.

The SL passenger metric is unique in that it has high carrying capacity, almost as much as an E (and more than a C), yet it has a thinner sidewall and rides nice. Great for lots of street usage with some light offroad. Although obviously, options are limited and it really depends on the size you get.

Last edited:
That's why I need the 23580R17, anything higher on that first number for width is going to be over 9" wide. And I want 9" wide for sure.
If you are dead set on the looks, by all means you have the options. I'd probably go for the Toyo or Grabber ATX unless the MT look is also important.