Powertrain Control Module

SqLites

Supporting Member
My mechanic informs me I need to replace my powertrain control module (1994 YJ 4.0L manual trans. located in California). Does anyone have a recommendation from whom to order this?
SqLites.jpg

Last edited:
Depending what is wrong with yours you might want to go the rebuild route. I had mine repaired by these guys a few months ago with great results:

Reactions: Stoopid Jeep
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
After doing extensive research about powertrain control modules I have concluded that the safest procedure is to simply purchase a replacement which I have found at DeadJeeps.com. For my '94 YJ, it will cost approx. $350. and DeadJeeps informed me that it will arrive already programmed, thus a plug-and-go install. My mechanic warned me about shipping my defective unit for a rebuild for a couple of reasons: 1) if it gets lost in shipping, you are SOL and you have immobilized your rig until you find an adequate replacement; 2) In the opinion of my mechanic, there are a lot of questionable rebuild shops out there who might simply switch your unit for another. Dealing with an eBay shop gives you some sense of security as eBay will back up purchasers with their own guarantees.

My old module still works fine other than it occasionally sends a surge to the alternator which then triggers the check engine light on the dashboard. If I turn off the engine, the light goes off and often stays off for days (until that infrequent surge happens again). My mechanic says there is no harm in merely continuing with this procedure, however, I am willing to spend the $350 and bring the electrical operating system up to standard.

Did you ever talk to the guys at wranglerfix? $350 for a likely used one from a "dead jeep" does not sound like a good deal. Ebay is the last place I do buisness with myself in hopes of sending something in for repairs,getting it back and it working correctly,been there dont that. Way to many scam artists IMO. Somebody like Wranglerfix.com is a legitimate buisness with an endless amount of guaranteed repairs made on ecm's.

Reactions: ytradio
Don’t worry about “programming” there is no programming. They are already programmed and as long as you buy one for the right driveline setup, it will plug right in and work. I’d call wranglerfix, I’m sure you’ll still get something used because WF doesn’t make them but they are much more credible than deadjeep. People have received some extremely shady quality of parts from DJ.

Reactions: ytradio
Also, if you are counting on eBay to “police” they’re sellers you are fooling yourself.