Plumber builds Jeep (crickets)

Praise be! I got my paint!! Never ever looked at cost before but thee last 12 cans cost me $160 CDN. Including freight. But I am just happy to report all is good. Hood half done but rest of my girl is finished. Paint wise. Interior finish to go.

D7B7904E-0F2D-45BC-A341-2209AA98BDAF.jpeg

Reactions: Squatch and Chris
Yah I know, no extreme lift, no funky light bars. But it’s exactly what I was looking for. The shocks were all shot, the paint was pooched and the stereo sucked. All that is fixed. Replacing the rear springs with lift shackles and adding lift shackles to the front, as well as new shocks and 2” wheel spacers did wonders to the stance and overall look IMHO. Still a YJ though. Thought that work would smooth out the ride but she’s still bouncy as shit, bless her heart. Just empty every pocket.
There’s other work to do. All front end bushings etc but I’m thrilled to be driving it again. Not every build has to be Straight outta Kounts Kustoms and to those with small budgets “Go for it!”

Reactions: Squatch and Chris
I'm one of the few that don't care for extreme lifts, light bars, etc. I like them simple with a moderate lift (2" or so), decent sized tires (31" or 32"), and just clean looking.

Reactions: WhyJay95
A month later, sure glad I took my time and went for it. Still got underside paint touch ups to do but I’m happy to be driving my little angel for the summer. Funny, couldn’t get the paint right on the hood, so I two-toned with flat black. Never noticed but all Trailhawks are like that so my new “wave” policy is YJs and Trailhawks and the odd Cherokee if it has the two-tone hood. My “resto” started because I needed something to do during this pandemic and work was so slow, but life has come back and now my YJ is a full time 1/4 ton work truck. All the dry wallers and electricians etc on site bow before this plumber and his cool Jeep.

BF17B9C3-7AE9-451D-90E1-4265D7A49B55.jpeg

AA1364D9-2787-415D-B00A-1C90679D8559.jpeg

C9F89DDE-E5B6-402F-B2E1-738EDB7917A3.jpeg

071F6C69-6D0C-4FF4-AD62-78CDDCBA721F.jpeg

A month later, sure glad I took my time and went for it. Still got underside paint touch ups to do but I’m happy to be driving my little angel for the summer. Funny, couldn’t get the paint right on the hood, so I two-toned with flat black. Never noticed but all Trailhawks are like that so my new “wave” policy is YJs and Trailhawks and the odd Cherokee if it has the two-tone hood. My “resto” started because I needed something to do during this pandemic and work was so slow, but life has come back and now my YJ is a full time 1/4 ton work truck. All the dry wallers and electricians etc on site bow before this plumber and his cool Jeep.
That totally rocks, my friend. Great job! (y)

Found your progress thread. Nice Jeep! I am planning on doing Sahara trim in mine as well. I will have to find my door panels though and replace some dash pieces. My vinyl one is chewed up at the corners and cracked up top. I wouldn't mind Sahara style seats too, but I am not sure where to find replacements of those.

Only thing not primered now is the inside 1/2 of the windshield. Wasn’t happy with my first primer attempt on the body. After sitting for two days, one swipe with well soaked 400 grit across the cowl and I was down to bare metal. Might have been crappy primer, I used some kinda no-name stuff at the end. So I did ‘er all again. Way slower, trouble light in one hand, twice around the mulberry bush. Gonna go very very very easy on the wet sand. On Thursday morning. With 600 grit. Fingers crossed I’m going GREEN on Friday

Did you etch the metal before you primed it?