Newer style (95 and older) distributor for older 4.0 engine (92)

jimogeek

Supporting Member
Good morning!

First post here, need some help.

I have a 1992 ish straight six in my '81 CJ that was converted about ten years ago with a donor motor and harness.

I've been chasing down a no start/no spark problem. Finally narrowed it down after a couple of attempts to a bad CAS, and replaced it. I also replaced the distributor as it was showing signs of age and the bushings were worn out and the distributor shaft was pretty loose.

Question: Can I run the newer distributor with the round cam angle sensor on top on this jeep, the original jeep had the funky older style cam sensor that was underneath. It looks like the timing/pickup would be the same, just checking. It looks like it should work...

Yes, it should work fine. They both provide the same signals to the engine, they are just a different type of sensor. I think they even plug in using the same connector? But don't quote me on that. The switch to the newer cdistributor was mid 94, and they didn't make any other changes to accommodate it.

I have the older version and would like to run the newer one in mine. Having to remove and disassemble the distributor to change the sensor is dumb.

Agree... It looks like they just flipped the locator wheel and the connector is exactly the same. I put an auto o-scope on the signal and it's a nice looking 5v square wave, so I assume it'll work, but wanted to check. Thanks for the input

Reactions: machoheadgames