Need Help Reinstalling Rear Driveshaft

edgregorio

Hello,

I removed the rear driveshaft on my 1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ to replace a seal. The good news is that the seal replacement went without a hitch. The bad news is that I forgot to mark the location of the rear driveshaft before removing it. The Jeep is now making a noise in that area that wasn't present before the repair. Does anybody have tips on how to undo my goof?

THank you,

Ed

The driveshaft is not balanced to the rear axle or the transfer case splines...so that shouldn't matter.

When you changed the seal, did you tighten the nut correctly in order to maintain proper preload on the pinion bearings? If you didn't get it right, the pinion bearings would make noise and that is probably what you're hearing.

Thank you for your reply. I changed the transfer case seal, not the pinion gear seal. Would I still need to preload the pinion bearings?

Thank you for your reply. I changed the transfer case seal, not the pinion gear seal. Would I still need to preload the pinion bearings?
Sorry, I assumed. In that case no, nothing to do with the pinion seal. I unfortunately can't think of why you'd be getting a noise after changing the t-case seal. There is a small bushing in the rear tail housing, maybe you got some debris on the driveshaft slip yoke and that got on the bushing upon reassembly...hard to say.

What does the noise sound like?

When removing the U-joint did any of the cups fall off and possibly lose some of the roller needle bearings? It's also easy for then to fall flat inside the end of the cap.

Last edited:
Sorry, I assumed. In that case no, nothing to do with the pinion seal. I unfortunately can't think of why you'd be getting a noise after changing the t-case seal. There is a small bushing in the rear tail housing, maybe you got some debris on the driveshaft slip yoke and that got on the bushing upon reassembly...hard to say.

What does the noise sound like?
Rattling noise. I only hear it when the jeep is in reverse.

Might be a worn trans mount causing the exhaust to rattle into the belly pan when in reverse. Might just be coincidence that it started when you changed the seal.