Motor mount issues

butters

Hello all I have a 1987 yj trying to put a cj5 4.2l into it but I am having troubles finding a motor mount to make everything work does anyone know of somewhere that builds something to help me?

Thank you

Is your factory engine another 4.2L or 2.5L?

If yours is currently a 4.2, then a 4.2 CJ motor should bolt right in using your existing engine brackets and setting the motor right on the frame. If you have a 2.5L and are upping to 4.2, then that will be a cut and weld type of operation. In that case, Throttle Down Kustoms might sell some mounts you can weld on.

So on this jeep it is going 4.2 to 4.2 but the engine that is going in brackets for motor mounts are completely different mounting wise, if I have to I assume I'm going to have to build mounts but was just hopeing someone has been down this road before and has a better idea

The CJ and YJ frames are very different, I have never seen a product that will make that conversion. I am really shocked the 4.2 is different between those years though. It was virtually the same engine for a really long time.

That sucks.

Yeah I had never noticed a difference until I was getting ready to install, grinder and paint will make me a welder that I ain't tho and we will get her one way or another.

Are you sure that the mounts aren’t just different because of the difference in frame widths? I was thinking that the YJ mounts would work with the cj engine in the yj frame. But I’m not the one standing there looking at it, you are. Just a thought.

The yj mounts have what look like same exact bolt pattern as the 4.0l where the new motor has 2 on bottom by the pan and one offset between those two about 2 inches above, I tried to mock everything up for probably 3 hours going insane thinking I was just doing something wrong, lol but then I went and got the other motor then everything made sense once I started looking

Can you post some pics? I’m really curious to see what you’re working with.

All I can find on the web is grouping the 76-90 4.2 together. If the one you got is older than that then I can see why you have an issue. Otherwise I don’t get it.

So found some motor mounts that work on passenger side but will not clear header on driver so now just trying to figure that out, camera on phone is broken I will try to get the wife to swing by at some point.

So new question is has anyone ran 4 2 long tube header and had motor mount issues on driver side lol. Gotta just keep reminding myself I love jeeps