Machine shop services

pigg

I have removed the engine head from my 94 YJ which has about 180k miles. I took it apart because of exhaust manifold bolt #6 was broken off and stuck in the head. I will take it to the machine shop for removal. In addition, what kind of services do you recommend while it is the shop? I have never taken off the head before and never been to a machine shop. How much should I expect? I am the original owner and never had engine over-heat problems.
I am an amateur who started to work on my jeep about a year ago little by little. I am not planning on driving off roads. I just want to drive around the city for many years to come. I guess the price may vary depending on the location. I live in a DC suburb.

head.jpg

Last edited:
Can't recall but I think mine was around $600 and they planed it, new valves, springs, keepers and guides along with matching three angle grinds to the valve seat. Also new casting plugs. Before they did anything they did an Eddy-Current test looking for any cracks. No sense doing everything else to a cracked head.

Reactions: ytradio
Not sure if you've taken it to the shop yet, but all you really need them to do is deck the head. I just did a full rebuild on my 4.0. The head is super easy to disassemble and rebuild yourself. Plus it will save you money in the long run. All of the tools you need for the head can be bought for cheap at harbor freight or auto store. The "specialty" tools I needed were a spring compressor and a valve suction cup/grinding compound. As long as you springs are in spec you can re use them, as well as your valves. Just ensure to keep them in order as they are paired to that specific valve hole. Even the keeper guides can be re used. If you take just the head to get cleaned and decked it shouldn't cost you more than $100. I can link you to a youtube video that literally goes over step by step for a 4.0 rebuild. Shoot me a message anytime.

I have removed the engine head from my 94 YJ which has about 180k miles. I took it apart because of exhaust manifold bolt #6 was broken off and stuck in the head. I will take it to the machine shop for removal. In addition, what kind of services do you recommend while it is the shop? I have never taken off the head before and never been to a machine shop. How much should I expect? I am the original owner and never had engine over-heat problems.
I am an amateur who started to work on my jeep about a year ago little by little. I am not planning on driving off roads. I just want to drive around the city for many years to come. I guess the price may vary depending on the location. I live in a DC suburb.

View attachment 121726
Machine shops that are affordable and do great work are getting hard to find. If it were me I would turn in yours as a core and get a remanufactured one from autozone.