Lesson learned the hard way

TickTock

Been noticing the new Jeep has been running really rich since I put the new fuel pump in it a couple weeks back so I bought a fuel pressure tester. Gauge read 100psi at the rail. Drop the tank thinking that maybe I had a pinched return line but it turned out that the bottom of the tank had buckled a little bit and the return spout was fighting to pump fuel back in. Got it trimmed and it's at 30 lb at the rail now give or take a pound or two. I definitely don't want to ever do that again. Dropping the tank in that thing is a pain and hopefully it's years before I have to do it again. Definitely learned some lessons the hard way

Reactions: ytradio
Been noticing the new Jeep has been running really rich since I put the new fuel pump in it a couple weeks back so I bought a fuel pressure tester. Gauge read 100psi at the rail. Drop the tank thinking that maybe I had a pinched return line but it turned out that the bottom of the tank had buckled a little bit and the return spout was fighting to pump fuel back in. Got it trimmed and it's at 30 lb at the rail now give or take a pound or two. I definitely don't want to ever do that again. Dropping the tank in that thing is a pain and hopefully it's years before I have to do it again. Definitely learned some lessons the hard way
I hate the factory location of the fuel tank. It’s just begging to be destroyed on a rock.

I agree 100% . I saw a company that makes an all steel tank that mounts in the original location which isn't great but the tank is like $1500 so I'm thinking about alternatives but coming up empty

There is a modification some people have done to cut a square hole in the floor directly above the pump. DON'T cut it with the tank in place.

It makes pulled the pump easy but I'd rather go through the struggle.

Reactions: TickTock
There is a modification some people have done to cut a square hole in the floor directly above the pump. DON'T cut it with the tank in place.

It makes pulled the pump easy but I'd rather go through the struggle.
I considered it yesterday but opted to just fight the tank removal. I will replace the tank someday probably with an aluminum or steel tank. I'm looking at aftermarket options but it'll be 6 months or a year before it happens

Reactions: Flyer58