LED Headlight and Taillight Choice

Whiplash2130

YJ Enthusiast
I’m contemplating installing LED Headlight, Tail Light and Marker Lamps in my ‘93 YJ. Which ones are the best for longevity and durability? Where did you buy? What did you spend? Worth it? Pics would be greatly appreciated.

IMHO, LED headlights on a vintage YJ take away all the class. I’m cool with LED marker lights but headlights with 10 little bright dots no way.IMHO. Looks cheapy

Reactions: Whiplash2130
IMHO, LED headlights on a vintage YJ take away all the class. I’m cool with LED marker lights but headlights with 10 little bright dots no way.IMHO. Looks cheapy
I know what you mean but I was in the Arizona boonies earlier this year and was driving my Gladiator Rubicon with LEDs all around and couldn’t see anything other than straight ahead! Just think the YJ needs something more. If they made a retro looking LED that would preserve the original look, I’d go for that. Thanks for your input.

Get what your sayin. Guess I’m more of a purist. When I see a YJ with LED headlights I think: dude should get a TJ

We may have discussed this here but keep in mind that if you change all the turn signal lights to LED's the original flasher switch won't work because it doesn't have enough current draw to activate it. I haven't looked into it but you'll need a to change that too.

• Wow
T
Any idea if the Savvy LED taillights will fit on a YJ? I have them on my TJ and friggin love how clean they look!

They look cool but are $$$ pricey!

They look cool but are $$$ pricey!

Indeed, but they look so good!

Here they are on my TJ:

IMG_7623.jpeg

I’m contemplating installing LED Headlight, Tail Light and Marker Lamps in my ‘93 YJ. Which ones are the best for longevity and durability? Where did you buy? What did you spend? Worth it? Pics would be greatly appreciated.
LED Headlights, JW speaker are a great option. I don't have them but I want them. I opted for Hella H4 E-Codes for now though. They're super bright with relays added to handle their needed amperage.

Tail lights, Savvy LEDs are the absolute best. Some caveats come with them though. They don't have any way of lighting up the license plate, so you have to add a license plate light. Great, easy enough. There aren't a lot of good license plate lamp options on the market and I'm picky about stuff like that. Then, you have to figure out a way to run the wiring to not be like a hack job on the flip down license plate bracket. I opted to move my license plate to the spare tire carrier and routed the wiring through the third brake light wiring area. Since you don't have a third brake light on your 93, you'd have to figure that one out yourself.

Don't bother with side markers or front turn signals. They will cause all sorts of wonky issues in your dash cluster lighting and side markers won't work properly at all. The side markers use a floating ground which means they pull their wiring off of the front parking lamps and they alternate which wire they pull power from as they flash either with headlights on or off. When I put LEDs in my front turn signals on the grille, they made it to where my dash turn signal indicators lit up with my headlights being on. It was very annoying.

If you add LED tail lights, you will need the special Tridon EL12 flasher. Easy plug and play solution.

Hope these pics help. They do not do the lit up lights justice, but it's the best I can show. They are big attention getters for sure. I would not be happy with any other product.

Pardon my lack of the rear end setup. I am in the midst of a big conversion. Adding an ARB single action bumper/tire carrier, a new license plate LED made for motorcycle plates, new tires, wheels, and a bunch of other crap. In the midst of the bumper install so the rear of my Jeep is very non indicative of my final setup. But at least you can see the lights. I still run a third brake light also which is the 94-95 factory unit that illuminates above the spare tire. ARB carrier supports it thankfully.

Wide View - Off.JPEG
Close-Up - Off.JPEG
Tail Lamp.JPEG
Brake.JPEG
Reverse.JPEG

Last edited:
Indeed, but they look so good!

Here they are on my TJ:

View attachment 116221
Go look at my post. They fit exactly the same as the TJ, only there is no good license plate option like there are for TJs since the YJ license plate covers the fuel filler. Otherwise they are the same awesome light on the same style Jeep mount, with even easier wiring than a TJ because you can make your own plugs and not have to use the TJ proprietary plugs with butt splices. 100% worth the money, that is for sure.

LED Headlights, JW speaker are a great option. I don't have them but I want them. I opted for Hella H4 E-Codes for now though. They're super bright with relays added to handle their needed amperage.

Tail lights, Savvy LEDs are the absolute best. Some caveats come with them though. They don't have any way of lighting up the license plate, so you have to add a license plate light. Great, easy enough. There aren't a lot of good license plate lamp options on the market and I'm picky about stuff like that. Then, you have to figure out a way to run the wiring to not be like a hack job on the flip down license plate bracket. I opted to move my license plate to the spare tire carrier and routed the wiring through the third brake light wiring area. Since you don't have a third brake light on your 93, you'd have to figure that one out yourself.

Don't bother with side markers or front turn signals. They will cause all sorts of wonky issues in your dash cluster lighting and side markers won't work properly at all. The side markers use a floating ground which means they pull their wiring off of the front parking lamps and they alternate which wire they pull power from as they flash either with headlights on or off. When I put LEDs in my front turn signals on the grille, they made it to where my dash turn signal indicators lit up with my headlights being on. It was very annoying.

If you add LED tail lights, you will need the special Tridon EL12 flasher. Easy plug and play solution.

Hope these pics help. They do not do the lit up lights justice, but it's the best I can show. They are big attention getters for sure. I would not be happy with any other product.

Pardon my lack of the rear end setup. I am in the midst of a big conversion. Adding an ARB single action bumper/tire carrier, a new license plate LED made for motorcycle plates, new tires, wheels, and a bunch of other crap. In the midst of the bumper install so the rear of my Jeep is very non indicative of my final setup. But at least you can see the lights. I still run a third brake light also which is the 94-95 factory unit that illuminates above the spare tire. ARB carrier supports it thankfully.

View attachment 116262
View attachment 116259
View attachment 116261
View attachment 116258
View attachment 116260
Thanks! Very informative.

W

View attachment 116262
View attachment 116259
View attachment 116261
View attachment 116258
View attachment 116260
Why are those JW Speaker lights more than triple the cost of the competitors offerings?

W

Why are those JW Speaker lights more than triple the cost of the competitors offerings?
It all depends on what you're looking at. Which JW are you looking at specifically? Their expensive line is the 8910 which is made for YJ or any 7x5 vehicle. They are $455 for the standard set of them, non heated They have a heated version for $630 if desired, I'm guessing in FL you don't care about that. They have a DRL in the center of them that you can hook up to ignition power if desired. They have one of the most praised LED pattern for YJ on the market, so that's why they cost what they do.

Truck Lites for YJ are $470. They are good also, although people who have had both seem to like JW better.

If you're asking why both of these options are upper 400s vs stuff on Amazon for $150, it's mainly quality of the light pattern, how well the cutoff is created, longevity of the light itself, and then the features like heated.

I bought some crap from someone who reboxes stuff he buys from Amazon and spent $270 on what would have been $160 from Amazon. That was not a good experience, and was about on par with what I would expect from virtually any other Amazon or eBay special headlight.

As far as truck lite and JW Speaker, they are praised by everyone. Truck drivers, YJ owners, etc. The JW Speaker is well regarded the most, especially the heated one for truck drivers driving across the country during winter. I imagine there are a lot of reasons why they cost what they do compared to the stuff similar to what I originally experimented with.

It all depends on what you're looking at. Which JW are you looking at specifically? Their expensive line is the 8910 which is made for YJ or any 7x5 vehicle. They are $455 for the standard set of them, non heated They have a heated version for $630 if desired, I'm guessing in FL you don't care about that. They have a DRL in the center of them that you can hook up to ignition power if desired. They have one of the most praised LED pattern for YJ on the market, so that's why they cost what they do.

Truck Lites for YJ are $470. They are good also, although people who have had both seem to like JW better.

If you're asking why both of these options are upper 400s vs stuff on Amazon for $150, it's mainly quality of the light pattern, how well the cutoff is created, longevity of the light itself, and then the features like heated.

I bought some crap from someone who reboxes stuff he buys from Amazon and spent $270 on what would have been $160 from Amazon. That was not a good experience, and was about on par with what I would expect from virtually any other Amazon or eBay special headlight.

As far as truck lite and JW Speaker, they are praised by everyone. Truck drivers, YJ owners, etc. The JW Speaker is well regarded the most, especially the heated one for truck drivers driving across the country during winter. I imagine there are a lot of reasons why they cost what they do compared to the stuff similar to what I originally experimented with.
I'll save my pennies. LOL

I've found several YouTube videos comparing good quality DOT approved LED headlights to inexpensive non-DOT Chinese ones and most of the cheap ones aren't even close, they don't hold a candle to the good ones so to speak.

I still have new glass OEM lights I'll stick with for now since I don't drive my YJ at night.

Has anyone bought the LED 1156/1157replacement bulbs for the OEM tail lights and front turn signals? Resistor kit is needed.