Jeep sat in a garage for 3 years

Dozo

Im trying to get this 1990 YJ running. Ive never dealt with carbourated engines so Im not sure how to go about getting this jeep running. It was running fine until the gas tank got a hole in it sometime in 2017 I think. I just bought it from a family member and put in a new tank/fuel pump. That all works and I can hear the fuel pump do its thing. I just have no idea how to go about getting it running. I havent even changed the oil on it yet. The engine turns over and sounds like it wants to start. I replaced the distributor cap and spark plugs to no avail

Is the pump getting fuel to the carb? Take the line off the carb and have someone turn on the key to make the pump run and see if you get fuel. Next I would check to make sure plugs are firing.

Pour a small amount of gas or carb cleaner in the carb and try to start it. If it starts then it is a fuel issue. If my 89 sits for more than a day or 2 I need to crank it and pump the pedal for a while before it fires up. If yours sat for 2yrs I would try to siphon out as much from the tank that I could and put in fresh gas. When dealing with gas make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy and be careful with the old gas as old gas can cause chemical burns if it gets on your skin.

Im trying to get this 1990 YJ running. Ive never dealt with carbourated engines so Im not sure how to go about getting this jeep running. It was running fine until the gas tank got a hole in it sometime in 2017 I think. I just bought it from a family member and put in a new tank/fuel pump. That all works and I can hear the fuel pump do its thing. I just have no idea how to go about getting it running. I havent even changed the oil on it yet. The engine turns over and sounds like it wants to start. I replaced the distributor cap and spark plugs to no avail
Change fuel filter to increase pressure and fully charge the battery

^^^^^This^^^^^ My fuel filter is a metal canister type located inside the frame rail on the drivers side, Right in front of the axle.....

OOOOH Looky,

Ok..thinking back here wouldent a 90 have a TBI system? You say you can hear the pump running? thats FI, not carb'ed. Your filter is the same as my 91 2.5 with FI. I cant recall when the 258 was dropped in favor of a 4.0 but the 4cyls used FI in either a TBI for 1 year?? or on to the port FI.

Ok..thinking back here wouldent a 90 have a TBI system? You say you can hear the pump running? thats FI, not carb'ed. Your filter is the same as my 91 2.5 with FI. I cant recall when the 258 was dropped in favor of a 4.0 but the 4cyls used FI in either a TBI for 1 year?? or on to the port FI.
Electric fuel pumps work on both systems, But unlike EFI which usually comes with it's own pressure regulator,
You have to install one on the feed line to the carburetor and find out what it can take PSI wise............

Guys I just bought a 95. Cleaned the tank and replaced the pump and filter. Does the pump always run? I thought it would build pressure and shut off.

Guys I just bought a 95. Cleaned the tank and replaced the pump and filter. Does the pump always run? I thought it would build pressure and shut off.
Runs anytime engine is running. It will prime itself/the lines on accessory mode.

The pressure regulator keeps the pressure dialed back so that the engine always sees as much fuel as it wants to see.

Runs anytime engine is running. It will prime itself/the lines on accessory mode.

The pressure regulator keeps the pressure dialed back so that the engine always sees as much fuel as it wants to see.
Thanks. I was worried it wasnt supposed to keep running. I bypassed the control module to make it work. I’m not sure I need to buy a new module at this point. It’s not a primary vehicle.

Thanks. I was worried it wasnt supposed to keep running. I bypassed the control module to make it work. I’m not sure I need to buy a new module at this point. It’s not a primary vehicle.
You bypassed the engine control module and gave the fuel pump ignition power?