Is this a AX15 transmission

DeltYJ

Will this work in 88 YJ4.2l is this an ax15

Screenshot_20211215-214605_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20211215-214608_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20211215-214608_Messenger.jpg

If it runs good I'd say $300 isn't bad. It's not a bad price to buy a bad one at either, but I just don't want to be bothered to rebuild one.

That is an internal slave unit though, if I were you I'd highly recommend buying the parts to convert it to external slave, or keep searching until you find an external slave transmission. You can get a transmission from a 97-99 TJ if you want.

If it runs good I'd say $300 isn't bad. It's not a bad price to buy a bad one at either, but I just don't want to be bothered to rebuild one.

That is an internal slave unit though, if I were you I'd highly recommend buying the parts to convert it to external slave, or keep searching until you find an external slave transmission. You can get a transmission from a 97-99 TJ if you want.
Really

So guys what's the cost gunna be to rebuild this right next to buying a 800$ used one online
That I have no answer for. It will depend on the quality of the shop/parts and you will have to trust the person doing it.

For starters, if you want the external slave setup you will need an external bellhouseing. That will range about $150 to $200.

I would just be concerned if it is from a 91 or earlier, I believe @machoheadgames mentioned something about a bearing being different in the past to me.
He has the older engine with the BA10/5 so he actually wants a 91 or earlier transmission technically, but they make adapter pilot bushings that fit the old crank and the newer larger transmission tip. Novak sells them.

Any external slave trans will have the larger tip, and the 92-93 internal slaves will too. So he will basically be buying the adapter pilot bushing regardless. No big deal.

He has the older engine with the BA10/5 so he actually wants a 91 or earlier transmission technically, but they make adapter pilot bushings that fit the old crank and the newer larger transmission tip. Novak sells them.

Any external slave trans will have the larger tip, and the 92-93 internal slaves will too. So he will basically be buying the adapter pilot bushing regardless. No big deal.
Got it. It gets so confusing. Thank god we have you lol.

Really really. That is probably the reason for the price, is that it is an internal slave. You will have to take off your transmission to replace it everytime.

That I have no answer for. It will depend on the quality of the shop/parts and you will have to trust the person doing it.

For starters, if you want the external slave setup you will need an external bellhouseing. That will range about $150 to $200.
I use Aamco the guys great and he's into customs he

The difference between your options is what level of convenience and reliability you want. For $300 you can get that transmission and ideally just run it, but you will need to pull the transmission every time the slave cylinder goes bad. They go bad all the time, so it isn't worth being on the hook for that. You can convert it with 3-400 worth of parts, but then of course you are close to spending the money on a used rebuilt trans that costs 800 like you said.

You can buy a brand new one for $1600 which is hands down the best option and the strongest/most reliable, but your wallet will pay for that.

Got it. It gets so confusing. Thank god we have you lol.
Took me forever to get these damn facts straight lol. If you start to remember the changes in a timeline, it helps.

1987-march89 - BA 10 - small tip and 21 spline output
1989-1991 - AX15 small tip - started 23 spline output
1992-93 - large tip
94-99 - large tip external slave

Only bad about 97-99 is they will come with the wrong stick for a YJ. Otherwise it’s the same trans

Took me forever to get these damn facts straight lol. If you start to remember the changes in a timeline, it helps.

1987-march89 - BA 10 - small tip and 21 spline output
1989-1991 - AX15 small tip
1992-93 - large tip
94-99 - large tip external slave
I'm at a real mix up here myself . If ammco does the rebuild I'll be probably in deep yet I trust the guys skill here in Klamath Falls OR yet I'm a poor guy