Is it time to change my oil pump?

Is this a problem for Jeeps? How's the oil pressure? I wish there was a separate oil pressure light in addition to the gauge. Most people never look at the needle once they get rolling. Mine lost all it oil when the pressure sensor failed and the previous owner didn't catch it.

Well it certainly won't hurt. 168k miles and 26 years old, I would say that it's going to come due at some point. That could be years from now, or it could be a week from now. If you have an excuse to do it, why not?

Reactions: Whiplash2130
Issues with oil pumps on these engines are so rare that I never see anyone changing them just because. Doesn't Make it a bad idea to do but they're pretty reliable pumps being that they're mechanical and just a set of gears spinning and creating suction. Designs like that don't fail often.

Put another way, if the pump is in a state where it will fail soon, it has likely seen some nasty nasty oil that would cause it to get to that point, which means that nasty oil has been around the rest of the engine too. So I'd bet if the pump actually dies on someone, the engine probably isn't in such great shape to begin with.

If you're doing a rear main seal and oil pan gasket, then I could maybe see swapping in a new pump "just because". I wouldn't go out of my way to swap it otherwise. If you do, I would recommend Mopar if you can find it (your Mopar is pretty old and good, obviously), or Melling. Melling makes good stuff.

Reactions: Flyer58