Idiot lights on dash power source

White J

we changed the dash for the idiot lights and still does not show turn signal indicators or headlights on dash. This is on a 1990 jeep with a 302 ford v8. where does the dash get its power to these indicators? The pugs are plugged in good and clean. We just put a like new dash piece in it. Would like to have an idea where to look. Dont want to take it all apart again. All out side lights work and so does the turn signals.

Did you install new LED bulbs to replace the original lights?

I found most LED's only work when inserted in one direction. If the LED doesn't light up just pull it out, rotate it half a turn, and push it back in.

That worked for me.

When you say "headlights on dash" are you talking about the high beam indicator? There is no "headlights" indicator for low beam.

The turn signals just splice off of the turn signal output that comes from the turn signal switch. The signals going to the dash and the grille leave the turn signal switch at the steering column connector and go into the main loom. They are spliced somewhere in there and split into the circuit that goes through the firewall bulkhead for the front turn signals and split off to the connector that goes to the cluster as well for the dash indicators.

Test the wiring terminals at the connectors that plug into the cluster.

When you say "headlights on dash" are you talking about the high beam indicator? There is no "headlights" indicator for low beam.

The turn signals just splice off of the turn signal output that comes from the turn signal switch. The signals going to the dash and the grille leave the turn signal switch at the steering column connector and go into the main loom. They are spliced somewhere in there and split into the circuit that goes through the firewall bulkhead for the front turn signals and split off to the connector that goes to the cluster as well for the dash indicators.

Test the wiring terminals at the connectors that plug into the cluster.
yes, I was talking about the high beam indicator. I already checked the turn signal switch plug. I was hoping it would have another plug somewhere. I don't want to pull the dash apart again. May just leave it as is.

yes, I was talking about the high beam indicator. I already checked the turn signal switch plug. I was hoping it would have another plug somewhere. I don't want to pull the dash apart again. May just leave it as is.
Turn signal switch won't tell anything - if you have front turn signals then you're good at the switch because that is the same circuit that feeds the idiot light. Need to test the pins at the plug that goes to the idiot light cluster to see if you have power there or not. It is most likely corrosion on the connector. It would be very unusual for the high beam, left turn, and right turn to all have broken inside the harness which is protected by loom and tape.

Turn signal switch won't tell anything - if you have front turn signals then you're good at the switch because that is the same circuit that feeds the idiot light. Need to test the pins at the plug that goes to the idiot light cluster to see if you have power there or not. It is most likely corrosion on the connector. It would be very unusual for the high beam, left turn, and right turn to all have broken inside the harness which is protected by loom and tape.
changed the dash piece out that holds the lights, cleaned plugs and dielectric grease before reinstalling. Nothing lights up. This jeep has a 5.0L v8 swap so I don't know what all they did.

changed the dash piece out that holds the lights, cleaned plugs and dielectric grease before reinstalling. Nothing lights up. This jeep has a 5.0L v8 swap so I don't know what all they did.
Dielectric grease can cause problems if too much is used. Still, you don't have power at the bulbs, so I would check the connectors. Otherwise you're just guessing.