How much should I ask for a 90 YJ with a blown engine?

GOIRISH

Looking to possible sell my 1990 yj. Frame
Is great and body is pretty good w only one area that needs repair (it’s been fiberglassed but could use welding). Problem is engine I believe is blown. Rod knock or spun bearing from what I can tell. No clue what to ask for it. I’m gonna lose money off what I oId but if someone can do the work themselves it’s a good looking jeep. Here’s a pick. How much should I ask?

Here’s the pic

IMG_2592.jpeg

Here in Oregon, a nice YJ like yours would be selling for closer to 9k IF it had a decent running engine. Obviously your market is very different. A blown engine will almost always deduct more off sales price, that what it would take to get her running well again. Sometimes by a lot! Shame to sell your sharp YJ at garage sales pricing. A decent used engine swap, might be something to consider prior to sale, if it helps you realize a greater profit. Looks like a brand new Jeep in you pic!

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler YJ Forum may be compensated.
Yeah. I bought it for 7500. I think I got hosed. My fault though for not being careful enough I guess. It is in great shape. I’m sure I could drop a used 258 in it but I’m not mechanical enough to own and work on an older vehicle like this. Unfortunately it’s a tough lesson learned. I can always try and post it for 5k or maybe 4500 and hope someone handy is looking for a deal.

How 'blown' is the engine? There's blown and there's BLOWN. I bought a used 1990 YJ with a blown 258 engine. The block and transmission are perfectly fine actually, no damage, aside from sitting with the hood up for 20 years. Previous owners blew a head gasket, and called the whole engine blown. I'm having the engine rebuilt, but once done, it'll be good for 200k to 400k miles more than likely. I consider a cracked block to be 'actually' blown.

I was able to drive it home. It has a bad knock. Haven’t had anyone look at it yet. But it sounds like rod knock from a spin bearing.

I think that’s a good idea. I have to try and find an honest one who will work on it. A fairly local shop I trusted in the past said they can’t work on it bc it’s too old technology speaking (carbed and computer deleted no OBD). I took it to a guy who works on older cars and had a bad experience - started the knock the day after I got it back from him. Sorta at the end of my rope. But if I could get it running better I might be able to sell for closer to 6 or 7

Exactly right! Have a tech diagnose and give you an estimate. Even if you decide to just dump instead getting fixed for sale (or fun)...you can make informed decision on how much to discount, and even show potential buyer diagnosis and repair costs, so they dont feel like they are taking risk by purchasing blindly. If fix under a grand, personally I'd get it fixed and sell as a strong runner and get most of your money back. It's great time to sell right before summer!

Reactions: Loach505
Just started her up and pulled her out of the garage. Checked oil. Very low. It leaks a bit. Must’ve gotten really low the 6 weeks it set out at that guys shop. Changed oil. Still knocking. And I saw little bits of metal in the oil I drained out

Any clue on various options and costs? Flying blind here. Jeep is sitting safely in garage. Still runs just sounds bad. Haven't taken it to a shop yet b/c the wife and I are trying to figure out best course of action and money is a factor. Its a toy and we aren't rich - so lets start there. If I was super handy Id rebuild myself. Whatever I do Im gonna need a shop to do it for me. Options I see are:

1- Find a used engine (none around me on CL or FB marketplace) and pay a shop to drop it in - probably the cheapest. Cost????
2-Buy a reman engine and do the same - Looking online there dont appear to be 4.2s in stock anymore at Autozone etc. though. Otherwise Im guessing about 4k right???
3-Swap some other sort of engine in??? No clue on this one - seems like the choices and costs are endless. Can I drop a 4.0 into it if it came with the FI and computer? Easier and cheaper to drop a chevy engine or something in there and keep it carbonated?

Please keep it super simple. What Im looking for here is just a point in the right direction. I have no clue my options and the costs. But again - this is a toy not my daily driver. I cant do this level of work so Id have to pay. Still contemplating selling it as is and recouping a little money. Maybe trading in my crummy car and using the cash as a down payment on a used jeep for a daily driver. But Id like to avoid a car payment. I am a teacher so I have the summer free and can run around and get stuff done. But Ill probably need to save up cash and just keep the jeep safe in the garage until next spring either way. Thanks for any input.

Will be interesting to seeing other's replies, by the more experienced jeepers. I know many people put the 4.0 engines in earlier yj's. Would be an upgrade. I'm sure there would be plenty of added bits to round up. If you search "jeep yj 4.2 to 4.0 engine swap" on youtube, you'll have no shortage of content to peruse! I'd still get to the shop for diagnosis and estimate. Your engine could be a fine candidate for quality rebuild that could easily be your best route...depending on what is wrong.

You said you’re a teacher. If you teach in a high school or have friends at one with an auto shop, you may be able to get the labor for free.

Yeah I thought about BOCES. But what I’m running into w/ known honest shops is that it’s more of a job than they want to handle (diagnosing without a scan tool etc). Our BOCES has a diagnostic automotive class. But I don’t think they do engine rebuilds. I think it’s more training modern techs.