How long should the shackle bolts (and frame bushing bolts) be?

doc-ketamine

Supporting Member
So ... How long should the shackle bolts (and frame bushing bolts) be? I'm looking at the previous shackle bolts and the greasable shackle bushings + bolts I bought to replace them, and the greasable ones seem much shorter. The new ones use nylock nuts, how much thread (if any should be exposed)? I torqued them to spec and even so I'm not sure if they're engaged far enough. Should I not be using nylocks at all?

Thinking about getting some of these as they seem more robust, why not spend more cash:

The greasable bushing and bolt kits I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00386Z4EK/?tag=yjforum-20 (well, a different set for shackle side and frame side as they are different OD).

New greasables in silver, prior bolts in zinc. Perspective is off but the zinc bolts are proper 5" bolts.
DFAA08A3-2B8A-490D-A0D6-0EA9193E803C.jpeg

Greasables in the rear shackle:
5122B671-54F5-4E46-873C-514D0154B70E.jpeg

Old bolts in the front shackle:
B19A2B00-40D4-4B20-8745-811D112716B3.jpeg

Last edited:
In the middle pic the bolts are a tad to short to utilize the Nylock part. Hard to tell but not by much. What did they sat as far as torque spec? You do not want to over do things as it will hamper articulation and create a poor ride. The nylocks are great but If it was mine I have no problem using a drop or two of 271/red locktite on those nuts. That will stick better than any nylock.

Reactions: doc-ketamine
I tightened to 95 ft lb as per the destructions. The kit on Amazon is the same you can get on Quadratec (etc). Prothane, I think? I also have a Daystar bushing set but it's the same length issue. There aren't a lot of greasable bolt options out there that I could find in a length that works for shackles and springs. Maybe it's a pipe dream and I should just use the normal 5" long grade 8 bolts.

Last edited:
If it were me, I would get rid of those shackles in general and go with something like Rubicon express Greasable shackle kits. Right length bolts, greasable, and not taller than they should be.

All that said, I don't think greasable is something to stress out about. It doesn't make much difference in the operation of the shackles. Factory stuff was not greasable and used rubber bushings, and they worked 100% fine.

100 PSI torque IMO will deform the shackles and squeeze the bushings enough to disallow free movement. Ive been running my greasables for years with just enough tight I can spin the bolt with an open end wrench without to much force, maybe 20 lbs if I put a torque wrench on it. You'll notice how the factory bolts are stepped so you can tighten up the nuts and not bend or smash the bushings. Like Macho said, im sure scamazons kit is the finest China quality G1 bolts to be had.

I tightened to 95 ft lb as per the destructions. The kit on Amazon is the same you can get on Quadratec (etc). Prothane, I think? I also have a Daystar bushing set but it's the same length issue. There aren't a lot of greasable bolt options out there that I could find in a length that works for shackles and springs. Maybe it's a pipe dream and I should just use the normal 5" long grade 8 bolts.
I understand entirely that it is probably and I stress probably the same product that is sold at Quadratec. And honestly Quadratec sells some pretty crappy stuff along with some decent stuff. But for chassis parts and the like I go somewhere else, like Summit racing or usually a local off road shop. The problem with Amazon is that they do not police their sellers, and if there is junk being sold it is up to the buyer to determine. I do get various things from there, and have had to return some of it because it was either just plain old crap, or a Chinese counterfeit. Buyer beware.

Guess I'll go back to grade 8 bolts at 5" long. So I'd be good with a nylock nut, fully engaged (all threads biting) but able to spin the bolt ...? Or skip the nylocks?

100ftlb on the bolts I have with the shackles I have seems to not deforming anything, the steel on those shackles is beefy and the sleeves and bushings may help prevent any warping.

Thanks!

Reactions: Stoopid Jeep
I have my own greasable screws. Grade 8 bolts, nylock nuts and a small cross hole through the nuts and the bolts after they were torqued for titanium wire to lock the nuts ( like in most aircraft cases). Them suckers will never come lose..