How hard to replace transfer case with a remanufactured one?

9nick0

I have a 1995 4.0 manual that needs the transfer case completely replaced. How hard of a job is that to do if I have the replacement transfer case? I've dropped the fuel tank on a jeep before and replaced the fuel pump module, is it easier or harder to do than something like that?

I have a 1995 4.0 manual that needs the transfer case completely replaced. How hard of a job is that to do if I have the replacement transfer case? I've dropped the fuel tank on a jeep before and replaced the fuel pump module, is it easier or harder to do than something like that?
Really easy. Support the transmission with a jack, lower the skid plate, undo the shifter to the transfer case, unplug the speed sensor and pull off the vent hose. Remove the driveshaft.

Undo the 6 nuts to the transfer case, pull, reinstall new, hook everything back up, fill with ATF.

Easy doins like Macho says, but let me add drain the T case fluid before yanking it. The rear output where the D shaft was will wee wee all over you. DAHIK. if you even close to needing a clutch your about 70% of the way with the TC removed. Nows the time, just sayin.

Possibly vacuum lines on a rubber plug on top for the front axle disconnect. Good luck with the skid plate, I snapped two bolts off. That's where it may go beyond a simple repair if you find rust and need welding. If you can't loosen the skid plate bolts come back before you proceed.

Reactions: 9nick0
Yes, good adds by the other two. Forgot to mention those which is sad because I just did this two months ago lol. Although my previous vacuum plug is now an electrical plug, the fact of disconnecting something at that location is all the same.

Definitely drain it for sure unless you have an SYE that will keep it from leaking.

Reactions: Flyer58
Really easy. Support the transmission with a jack, lower the skid plate, undo the shifter to the transfer case, unplug the speed sensor and pull off the vent hose. Remove the driveshaft.

Undo the 6 nuts to the transfer case, pull, reinstall new, hook everything back up, fill with ATF.
That's very helpful. Thank you. Any special alignments or put it in such and such a gear to do this?

That's very helpful. Thank you. Any special alignments or put it in such and such a gear to do this?
No special alignment, just line the transfer case studs up to the back of the transmission and it all slides together. Seriously, working fast a tcase swap is about an hour job if just doing a simple bolt and unbolt. Of course, that is talking someone who has done it before and knows all the connections. But it is quite a simple job. Just be prepared for its weight when it comes out of the transmission. It is pretty heavy at about 70 lbs and somewhat awkward.

Reactions: 9nick0
Here's a clearance question about lowering the transmission with the 4.0 attached. Might be helpful for 9nick0.

When I had to access some of the nuts and fittings on my T-case I lowered the transmission an inch or two. I have the 2.5L and there's very little clearance between the front radiator fan and the shroud so it's possible to crunch the two together if not careful.

Is this also a possible issue with other engines?

Here's a clearance question about lowering the transmission with the 4.0 attached. Might be helpful for 9nick0.

When I had to access some of the nuts and fittings on my T-case I lowered the transmission an inch or two. I have the 2.5L and there's very little clearance between the front radiator fan and the shroud so it's possible to crunch the two together if not careful.

Is this also a possible issue with other engines?
I’ve never had to touch the shroud but it is something to consider. I’ve lowered and raised the engine considerably during transmission jobs and never had a problem though. But it’s a good idea to watch out for at least.

Oh and I should add - get a ratcheting 9/16 wrench for the 6 transfer case nuts. No way to get a ratchet/socket in there and doing them all with a non ratcheting wrench will really suck and take a while.

Last edited:
I’ve never had to touch the shroud but it is something to consider. I’ve lowered and raised the engine considerably during transmission jobs and never had a problem though. But it’s a good idea to watch out for at least.

Oh and I should add - get a ratcheting 9/16 wrench for the 6 transfer case nuts. No way to get a ratchet/socket in there and doing them all with a non ratcheting wrench will really suck and take a while.
I used a banana wrench for the top 2 nuts on mine.
But Macho's suggestion is probably better.

IMHO, If you're drive train has alot of miles on it, I'd just take it out with the tranny attached and go all the live with a clutch assembly,
Throw out bearing and resurface the flywheel.....No need to send it out if it's smooth with a little glaze on it, Just power sand the surface a little and let it rip. It won't be a lot of extra time to just drop it as a whole, And detaching/reinstalling the TC will be alot easier........

Buy 2 of them, Amazon is a good place get single wrenches or sockets for jobs like this, make sure you use the forum's Amazon affiliate link. Take the spare and cut it down to 6 or so inches long. This will make the top 2 or 3 nuts much easier to deal with since you can get a full swing on the wrench.

Reactions: machoheadgames
Buy 2 of them, Amazon is a good place get single wrenches or sockets for jobs like this, make sure you use the forum's Amazon affiliate link. Take the spare and cut it down to 6 or so inches long. This will make the top 2 or 3 nuts much easier to deal with since you can get a full swing on the wrench.
Hah yeah, funny you mention that. I pulled my tcase two days ago and man the upper passenger nut really sucks. Definitely would have benefit from a shorty wrench. Which I actually own, but couldn’t find at the time. Figures. Can get it broken loose with the longer ratchet wrench, but then barely have enough swing to get even one click on the ratchet. And too much pressure for fingers. Sucks.

Reactions: DOWNS
Wow, this is from Aug 2021. I hope the change was easy for him.

Another helpful hint is to wrap tape around the U-joint endcaps because they will fall off and roll into the nearest dirt pile. Or just change them while you're in there.

Reactions: DOWNS
hard from some is easy for others. ?
there are vast youtube videos showing jeep trans and or transfer case pulls, it be wise to watch some first. and you be that judge of that! just you.
and tools. (got the tools)?? willing to buy them and be safer and even less work???????
got a tranny jack>?(harbor fright(sic) sold

yes my 4.0L pulled, (it all) in my 1988 Cherokee , the top bell bolts are the most hard. (new m/t clutch day) (this is pulling it all sure)_
but let the engine lean down lower, jack on engine rear, yes, lower and it goes lower all of it and have 2x, 18" , 3/8" ratchet extensions to reach them easy
the fan shroud can hit, so remove all fan shroud bolts. to all deeper lean.
exhaust header not in the way nor fighting engine lean.
YMMV, when I do it is take the extra steps to make it more easy.
also look in that huge hole in the center shifter floor hump removed that hands and tools can fit too.

then there stuck rusty bolts. to deal with. and in salt belt never impossible.

learn to use youtube first, then ask more better questions, after seen , no better way exists.
look see ask.
also the FSM covers all steps
read that yet? tranny pull
nv231case?

chapter 21 covers it. tranny

page C21, page 287 , step 3 states to drain the xfr case first (make sure filler hole plug is not jammed first.) then drain it.
unless a bath in ATF+4 is fun.
pdf 1849 of 2151 pages. total.
free to read at any time in the STICKY here. posted 1000s of times.
94/95 fsm pdf get it keep it and read page 287, 16 steps there) and then ask questions.
here is a teaser page
just for you.
287.JPG

most guy doing this , work, is new clutch day too. top brands not from fleabay
only you know how old the clutch is, and matters to all M/T owners./