How do I measure actual spring lift height?

TRevs

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The Jeep came to me with Skyjacker springs in the front and OME springs in the back, each sold as 2.5”.

How do I measure the actual amount of suspension lift? Is there a standard place to measure, say, between the axle and frame?

Im not sure there is really any "standard" Ive ever seen in my decades of jeepin. Some go off bumper height, some the fender lip. There are so many mods than can alter the readings going off bumpers or flares etc from another's its hard to say. One sure fire way is the ground to bottom of frame say in the rear or front just behind the bumper.

On the TJ’s, they say anything over 12” on the front coils and 8” on the rears is the lift; I figured there’d be something analogous on YJs.

I just read some of your questions. Odd combo of springs you have buy they may have used OME's because you can order 3 versions of spring rates and were hauling 4 people or lots of stuff.

i doubt much thought went into the prior purchases. It was a hodgepodge when I got it. They had something like 10° shims on the rear axle, 33” tires on stock 3.55 gears, CAI, etc.

To my eyes it has a significant rake, so I’m suspecting I got more than 2.5” in the rear and maybe less than 2.5 on the front. And I have mild/moderate vibes despite having added the OME transfer case drop and replacing the rear shaft U-joints.

I think in the longer term I’ll get OME springs up front, and OME shocks all around, and a DC driveshaft/SYE. I’ve never cracked a transfer case open but the SYE looks like something I can learn.

There is no great way to measure except for measuring at the rocker, bumper, etc. You could find someone with stock springs and measure from the tube up to the bump stop I guess, but seems like most YJs are no longer stock, so you may have to search for a while to find someone bone stock to measure for you.

OME is typically 2.5-3”, on any of their 3 springs. If you’re raked with non-OME springs up front, then I’d say the fronts are 2-2.5” and the rear is 2.5-3”. If you get the OME 14F springs (the only “front” spring they sell), you’ll still have a bit of rake. They are designed to be that way. I have 36R springs all around but I wish I did the 14Fs, because I now have no rake and any load put back makes it squat.

I’d say a future goal of 14Fs up front to replace the skyjacker is a good way to go. Some rake is good too, so don’t be against that itself.

As for SYE, you can definitely learn to do that. The worst part is the cost.

Reactions: Gilaguy23
yes, but not sold, nobody sells stock springs now. (that I can find)<< for softer rides.
not my photos, (my edits yes)and was my goal and i failed.
lift comes with tires, springs , shackles and body lift.) SOA, spring over axle mods./
13k wench here, heavy. and heavy rocksliders and bumpers
car not loaded and sitting fully in the ground

stock-0lift-are-flat.jpeg

next the ruler trick. axle to crazy sloping frame, best spot just in front of bump stop, bolt,plate. REFR point 1.
that yellow arrow drops 1/2" of frame drop so mine is 10.5" drop
the big secret1.jpg

Crawlers never read this, just pavement guys, no shame , all.
this is what I call Joist distance, and matters most and spring rates.
stock photos are rare now, , but found only 1,above.

Last edited: